Friday, April 18, 2014

Today's MOZEN 4/18/2014

Words and photo by F LoBuono
It's a well known fact that I am not a religious person, certainly not in the traditional sense. I have often written about the difference between being religious and being spiritual. It would certainly be reasonable to call me spiritual. This means that, using a variety of sources, I explore deeply within my soul for the meaning of life without the restrictions imposed by subscribing to a single religion . To reach such an illusive goal, I believe one must seek this truth by searching wherever it might be found. So, although raised with a traditional Catholic background (I attended parochial school K-8 grades), as an adult I have immersed myself in the study of all those who, from the beginning of mankind, have shared the same passion for spiritual truth.

Despite the dizzying array of ritual and dogma associated with more traditional religions, I think that I may have found a common thread - the thing that unites all in common purpose: It is not the entity that is most important, but, rather, the WORD. All bringers of truth have this in common; the unshakable certainty that only LOVE will conquer HATE. And, if necessary, they are willing to die to prove it. In a sense, they die to show us that we still shall live. Now, what, exactly, that means is open to one's interpretation and belief system.

So, Good Friday has always had special meaning for me. Yes, some of it is inspired by my Catholic upbringing. But, it has gone far beyond what I learned in Catholic grammar school. It is a day of deep reflection. The WORD is being made FLESH in the truest sense. Jesus, The Christ, begins the final process to show us exactly how love will defeat hate. He allowed himself to be humiliated in the most cruel way, and suffer the most gruesome death to show us, all of us, that if we believe in love, there will be true salvation at the end. Now, here is where the religious vs. spiritual diametric comes into place. I cannot truly say that I believe in all the trappings of divinity. I am not prone to literal interpretation of scripture. But that is also not important to me. It does not change The Word. This is not Christian vs. Jew vs. Muslim vs. Hindu vs. Buddhist, etc. That is why I am most interested in is the message behind the act. What, exactly, have we been taught from this passion play enacted over two thousand years ago and still resonates with such fervor today? All should find something within our hearts on this, Good Friday. If, for you, it is truly a message from god, then so be it. Let it give you strength. But, I believe that there is message for people of all so-called faiths. The message needn't be for a one, single belief system. It is one that should transcend the boundaries of just a religious connotation. For me, it reinforces lessons I have always known and must continue to practice every day of my existence: resolve, fortitude, courage, passion, commitment, and, most importantly, transcendence through the overpowering force of love.




4 comments:

  1. I agree and this is beautifully written. What a great world it would be if only the greedy, envious and judgmental people would get the message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, JS - and a peaceful, joyous Easter to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank, this is through my friend: When my friend's mother looked out the window, she brought her to it and said"Look out the window". The day was overcast,and there was a slight hint of sun. She said "It amazes me that some don't believe in God. For every Good Friday, this is what the weather is every year.

    ReplyDelete