Saturday, June 11, 2016

Today's MOZEN: Bob's Message

Words and photo by F LoBuono
They really are all around us - the little signs that can have big meaning. Unfortunately, with our frenetic lives, we don't often see them. But, small events of sometimes great importance do happen on a daily basis. We need, however, to open more than just our eyes to witness them. We need to open our hearts, as well.

About a week ago, while trimming some hedges at my house, much to my dismay, I knocked down a bird's nest. I examined it and found it empty. So, I went about finishing my work raking up the trimmings when I noticed a little, furry ball among the clippings. It was a fledgling and it was alive! I immediately scooped it up and brought it inside. I found a small box and placed the little one inside the old nest and then both in the box. There are many cats in the neighborhood and I felt it would be a goner if I left it unattended. I couldn't put the nest back - I had just cut the hedge it came from! So, I determined to take the bird back to my apartment and do my best to see if I could help it to survive.

I phoned a bird rehabber that I know and she suggested I find a professional near my home. I tried but to no avail. Everyone that I called was already overwhelmed with birds. I would have to try with the advice given to me by the experts I spoke with. It turned out to be a Robin. I decided to call him Bob. Bob Robin.

In the beginning, everything went according to plan. I spent hours in the yard digging up earth worms that I could feed him. He had a great appetite and I carefully fed him a chopped up worm or two with a pair of tweezers every hour throughout the day. It was so cool to see that gaping maw, seemingly bigger than its body, greedily gobble up those worms. I even fed Bob some blueberries as it was explained to me that would balance his diet. This went on like clockwork for two days. I was told that he was probably about 2 or 3 days from leaving the nest on his own. I figured if I could keep him alive for that long, he might have a chance.

On the third day, I approached the box and was a bit alarmed that Bob made no sound. On the previous days, if he heard me, he would peep to let me know that he was ready to eat. I hoped that, perhaps, he was just sleeping. However, much to my horror, when I looked in the box, Bob was obviously near death. He certainly was in great distress. I held him gently and tried to revive him but he drifted slowly away. I buried him next to my beloved cat, Big Red.

I did take some solace in the fact that he did not die alone and that I had done everything within my power to allow him to live. Still, since it was my fault in the first place, I was deeply saddened by Bob's death. I understand that accidents happen and that it was just a bird and blah, blah, blah. It was still a wasted life and ALL life needs to be respected. It brought me down.

Of course, life goes on and mine certainly did. But, whenever I would hear the birds sing in the mornings and evenings, I would grow sad thinking that Bob's voice would not be added to that chorus. Well, today, as I was going to my car to leave for work, I noticed a young bird near the car. I could tell that it was young because it still had traces of juvenile "fuzz" on its head. It allowed to me close enough to notice its Red Breast. It was a young robin. It lingered for a few seconds, looking at me before it chirped and took flight. And, I smiled.




No comments:

Post a Comment