Monday, November 19, 2018

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: An Accidental Encounter


It was an accidental encounter in the parking lot of O'D's - the old O'Donoghue's Tavern -the legendary, gritty, Gin Joint - not the new (and delightful), more organic version. It was one of the few remaining Nyack, NY Speakeasies; Eastwick's was gone, as was The Office, which hosted some of the world's greatest Jazz  musicians. As for the more traditional drinking establishments (with all due respect to The Coven), it was either O'D's, near the corner of Broadway and Main, or The Old Fashioned, near the south end of town. I tended to frequent both on a fairly regular basis.

On this particular evening, I decided to stop in at O'D's for a cold one and some great conversation, both of which you could find in abundance there. I remember it was a warm summer evening because I drove my old '67 Mustang convertible there and parked her in the lot on the side of the tavern. She was a classic; candy-apple red, with a white interior. Had a 3-speed on the floor with with a Hi-Po 289 V-8 under the hood. And, I kept her cherry, too - a real eye catcher.

'67 Ford Mustang Convertible
After a fairly uneventful beer or 2, I decided to head for home. I paid my bill and went for my car. As I turned the corner, I noticed 3 men around the vehicle, one of whom I recognized; Paul O'Donoghue. He was standing near my front left bumper. Near the right front was another man that I did not know. The third, a rather large man with wild, blonde hair and a thick beard was, literally,
kicking the shit out of my left rear tire! The all seemed to be feeling no pain - especially the big guy kicking my tire.

Paul O'Donoghue/ F LoBuono

Quizzically, I called out to Paul:

Hey, Paul, whaz up?

Without hesitation, he replied:

Oh, HI Frank. Is this your car?

Still puzzled, I said:

Uh, yeah?

Paul responded:
Let me introduce you to my friends. This guy over here (gesturing to the other man at the front of the car) is Terry Southern. And, the big guy kicking the shit of your tire is Harry Nilsson.

I didn't know how to respond. I went from confusion and possible annoyance to jaw-dropping awe!
Terry Southern/Jerry Schatzberg photo

Terry Southern was not a household name but I sure knew who the hell he was. How could any Child of the 60's like I was not know the man who co-authored "Easy Rider" and "Doctor Strangelove". Harry Nilsson was already a legend in Nyack - not only for his incredible music but for his outrageous antics, as well.

I think I managed to mutter something witty and charming like:

Oh, hi!

Nilsson blurted out:

Nice wheels.

And, that was it. The 3 turned without further conversation and went on their way - possible to Harry's storied white van (a story in and of itself).  Although I maintained my friendship with Paul, I never saw Harry or Terry again.
Harry Nilsson/photo unknown


Now, all three are gone - as is The Old Fashioned, replaced by a wonderful Peruvian restaurant, The red convertible is also gone - sold to a collector long ago. O'D's has survived, but in a totally different incarnation.

I have always fantasized about what might have happened if I threw all 3 of them into the Mustang and we sped off into the sunset together - what adventures we might have had. If I only had the musical skill of Harry Nilsson I could make it a song - or, the writing chops of Terry Southern, create a novel or screenplay.

But, for now, they we all will just live in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment