Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: The Epiphany

While on one of my daily sojourners through town, I was approaching the local "Y" when I noticed a young couple heading towards me. They caught my eye immediately because they were, well, so different.

Walking arm in arm, I would estimate they were probably late teens, maybe 20. Even as I got closer, it was still hard to tell exactly. Everything about them defied the norm. Their over-all appearance made it even difficult to identify their gender. I the past, we may have called them asexual or, more accurately, androgynous. Today, I believe non-binary is preferred. Personally, I like the latest term. It implies more of a choice.

One was covered by a long, black coat. He/she had medium length, dark hair with blue high lights. His/her eyes were covered in dark makeup. If not for a rather youthful countenance, you might describe his/her appearance as goth.

The other had light hair, mostly blonde but with multi-color tips. In great contrast to the darkness of the other, she/he was wearing a brightly colored top, pleated skirt, and multi-colored long stockings.

They seemed in great spirits and were obviously enjoying each others company.  As I passed, I sensed that the dark one was aware of my interest and gave a slight, wry smile.

If they only knew the plethora of thoughts and emotion that were coursing through my brain!

At first, I felt a wave of standard judgment:

Why would someone want to look like that?

Were they lovers or just good friends?

What are their parents like? Are their parents embarrassed by them? 

Are they aware that people stare?

Do they care?

Should they care?

Then I had an epiphany.

I've always been good with live and let live. Ultimately - and the key word is ultimately - I get there. What you do in your time and space is your business and what I think has no bearing.

However, this was something more; I didn't just accept them. I liked that they were different. They were creative and having fun. They were defiant and enjoyed being that way. They were very much what they wanted to be.

I found it refreshing.

Really.

So, as I passed, I smiled, too - a good, genuine, feel good smile.

There's plenty of room for everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment