Friday, February 17, 2012

Brain Droppings: The Cult of Celebrity, Part 1

As seems to be the case lately, I really don't have enough time to develop this entry in the way that I would have liked. And the main reason that I can't is really the impetus for the entry in the first place: I'm so busy with a CULT OF CELEBRITY event, i.e. the funeral of cultural icon* Whitney Houston. We, and most networks, both in the US and around the world, have been covering her death and the coming funeral virtually around the clock for nearly a week! The coverage FAR exceeds the need, or, I believe, the interest in it. I have often pontificated on this topic in the past. But people want celebrities in all their forms and they sure are going to get them come the funeral on Saturday.

It' all part of a bigger picture where icons are created where there really aren't any. We can talk all we want about Houston's enormous talent, but in the end, she was just a flawed human being - JUST LIKE THE REST OF US.


Anyway, I've been working so many hours (thank god!!!) under surprisingly difficult conditions (shitty weather, long hours, tough location) that it leaves little time or energy to contribute anything in any great detail to the blog!! However, I've been making lots of observations and photos to share with you as soon as time allows.


More . . . later.

No comments:

Post a Comment