Saturday, October 18, 2014

Today's MOZEN: A Cruel Reality 10/17/2014

Photo: Woodstock Animal Sanctuary Words: F LoBuono
The decision to stop eating meat is an intensely personal one. After all, we are what we eat. And we've been conditioned since the very beginning of our existance that our diet must include some type of meat. In point of fact, science has shown us that the increase in the size of our brains (and, therefore, intelligence) is directly correlated to our learned ability to injest large amounts of ready protein through cooked meat. It has been argued (and disputed) that our teeth are that of an omnivore, or an animal that can chew all types of food, vegetable AND animal. The great majority of medical doctors recommend a balanced diet that includes items from all the so-called food groups, including meat.

Then there is the cultural aspects of eating meat. Most of us associate our best meals with the finest cuts of meat we consume. And the price of those items reflect the value. I think that you would be hard pressed to find a a menu item at any high-end restuarant that is more pricey than a good filet mignon. Who doesn't enjoy a good barbecue, filled with good friends and food, i.e. cooked meat?Thanksgiving is a virtual orgy of eating meat. Yes, turkey is meat. Walk past any restaurant and who would not be taken with the aroma of roasting meat? The smell of bacon cooking in a frying pan is often associated with a peaceful, blissful breakfast. And I'm Italian, whose cultural is probably the one most often associated with good eating and fine food. So, for me, as with most others, the choice to stop eating meat was not taken lightly.

I had been thinking about it for some time. My entire family are animal lovers. Both my parents loved dogs and our household was rarely without one. I had a particular affinity for animals, all kinds of animals. In addition to the dogs, I kept sick birds, abandoned rabbits, wayward mice, and tropical fish. As long as it was living, it was OK by me. As I got older, cats were added to the mix. I have had the responsibility of some type of animal my entire life. About three years ago, I was expanded by quest for understanding more Eastern philosophies, including Buddhism. I was particularly interested in the Buddhist concept of "do no harm". It is a simple one. It asks us to be conscious of our presence in the world and our connection to all things. With this awareness or mindfulness we understand that, since everything is connected, our actions affect other beings - always. If we KNOW this, then it is our duty to do our best to do RIGHT. This includes the elimination of cruelty. And I KNEW that the way we raise, slaughter, and consume our meat products was just plain brutal.

It's called FACTORY FARMING and it is BIG business. In fact, food processing, as it is also named, is the biggest of the big with a handful a gigantic corportations like Tyson and Smithfield controlling the great majority of the industry. There are very few family ranches and farms that are still producing meat in a more humane fashion (although some hard-core vegans would dispute that). Because our meat is produced by such large corporations they are run like any other large corportation, i.e. the bottom line is the bottom line. Therefore, they practice a form of food processing that is driven soley by profit and cares nothing for the animals that provide the very basis for their industry. Animals are raised, shipped, and slaughterd in the most brutal fashion, all in the name of profit. There is no debate here, only fact. And the fact is these animals, even under the best conditions, are ill treated. You've seen the photos. You've watched the videos. You can choose to deny it, but it is fact. Not dealing with it will not make the cruelty go away. In addition, to keep the meat cheap and plentiful, these companies often use antibiotics to keep their animals going despite the deplorable conditions in which they are raised. These chemicals then, in turn, enter our systems when we consume them. The detrimental health risks associated with this practice are well know.

I remember the exact moment when I went from thinking about stopping to eat meat to actually doing it. I was in a hotel in DesMoines, Iowa. I was on assignment covering the Iowa Caucus. While relaxing and watching TV, a PETA commercial came on. I will spare all the horrible details (and it was literally that - horrible) but let me say that it was sufficient for me to think, I've seen enough. How much MORE cruelty do I need to witness? How much longer must this suffering continue? It's time to stop thinking about it and actually begin doing it. I made the commitment. That was over two years ago.

Now, let's be clear. I am not vegan. At this point, that's a little too extreme for me. And I'm not "fantatical" about being a vegetarian. For example, I still eat fish. Afterall, I am Italian and I cannot COMPLETELY deny my heritage (LOL!). Plus, it provides me an excellent source of lean protein. Also, if I am in a situation where I am offered meat and the only alternative is to throw it away, I will eat the meat. To throw it away is a bigger sin than eating it in the first place. At least it is in my book.

Look, I'm not some tree-hunging ,vegan crusader. I'm not that strong. But what I am trying to do is to reduce the cruelty we find every day in the world, wherever we may encounter it. This is just one way that we can. So, they next time you bite into that big, juicy burger topped with four inches of crispy bacon, think about where it came from and how it got there. It did through an almost an imaginable amount of cruelty. I will not judge you if you do. I get it. But I will ask you to think about it - and do what you can to change it. It's easier than you think. If it's no good for you and no good for the animals, then who is it good for? I think you know the answer.



1 comment:

  1. This sums it all up for me:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4qQNi3WZdQ

    ReplyDelete