Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Today's MOZEN: Stella Logic. 11/25/2014

Words and photo by F LoBuono
As a kid, I was very athletic. Well, it might be more accurate to say that I was athletically minded. My head told me that I was a great athlete. My body had something else to say about it. I was quick and agile, but, also, extremely thin. In fact, I was more than thin. I was downright skinny. At least I saw myself as such. And, I hated it. Most of my early role models were men of action with bulging biceps and thick necks. The only think bulging on my body was my protruding ribs. The only thing thick was my stubborn insistence on changing my appearance.

My father, who encouraged my athletic endeavors, was aware of my displeasure with my physical appearance. He found it a bit silly (he knew that I would eventually grow into my body). But, rather than tease me, he introduced me to calisthenics and weight training. I must have been about twelve. He was training to take the Civil Service exam and I exercised, wide-eyed and eager, right next to him. Push-ups, sit-ups, and lunges were practiced with zeal. Eventually, in time, this led to intensive training with free weights. Either at my home-made gym, school, or YMCA, I attacked my workouts with dedication and zeal! I loved it and made weight training and exercise a part of my life.

Now, Stella, the eternal pragmatist, saw the need for healthy exercise. It was the way that people went about getting it that she found strange. This was her logic: if you can spend hours in a gym, moving your body in certain, strenuous ways  to increase muscle growth, can't the same thing be accomplished by completing ones chores around the house? Cannot raking, sweeping, carrying, and the like also be seen as "exercise"? You know, you do those pulling and pushing things. Well, isn't pushing and pulling still pushing and pulling no matter where you do them? So, why not look at doing chores as doing exercise?

Damn. I always hated that "Stella Logic"! It really DID make sense.

I was still too committed to formal training to completely give it up for the sake of "raking leaves". However, I did start to see performing certain chores as more than just that - "chores". I now saw them as an opportunity to create news ways of working out. So, when I did rake leaves, I made sure that the motion was such as to work certain muscle groups. I constantly switched hands with each chore to make sure that I had balance in my workouts. Every movement had a dual purpose: it provided me with good, healthy exercise, AND, I got shit done at the same time! It is something that I have carried with me my entire life.

As I age, I have neither the time nor the inclination to spend much time in a gym. My life has taken on new priorities. However, still, with that said, I do not ignore the benefits of exercise and a healthy lifestyle. In fact, I believe it essential. But, now, instead of spending virtually any time in a gym, I employ the Stella Method of exercise; I do chores on the nearly two acres of property I am responsible for. There are plenty to go around. And, I do most by hand - even those that might be better suited to complete with a power tool. For example, I harvest, cut, and split all of my firewood by hand. I also RAKE my entire property. Yes. That's right. With a rake. No noisy, stinky, annoying leaf blower for this guy!!

So, I'm damned proud of that blister. I earned it. It's my "red badge of courage". And you can earn one, too. You can apply that ethic to everything that you do. Next time, instead of taking the car to the store, if possible, walk. Instead of grabbing that leaf blower, go for the rake. Stuck shoveling snow? Make it a SENSIBLE exercise routine - use your back and legs. Switch hands. Rest frequently. You'll be tired and sore the next day. You may even raise a blister, too. And, you will feel so good for it. :)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment