Saturday, January 2, 2016

Today's MOZEN: Resolution 2016 - Reduce Cruelty

Words and Photo by F LoBuono
As we enter a new year, many have made their resolutions and are in the process of implementing them. Most involve physical improvements like losing weight or getting into better condition. Others include things of a more ethereal nature like improving ones disposition. Certainly, being more kind to people is one of the more admirable goals. The important thing to remember through all the hype is to be more motivated to do something POSITIVE.

With this in mind, I would ask you to consider, if not completely eliminating cruelty in the world, then working to reduce it. And, we can start in a most simple way: by controlling your consumption of so-called factory farmed meat. I made the decision to eliminate meat products from my diet nearly four years ago and have never looked back. It has not always been easy, but I have no regrets and I'm not returning to my old ways. I did this on mostly moral grounds. The way factory farmed animals are treated is more than cruel - it is inhuman. Personally, I could no longer look the other way while millions of animals suffered terribly before they were cruelly slaughtered. It made my soul ache. I could no longer justify petting my wonderful dog, Rexie, while consuming a pig, who given the same opportunity would respond the same way as the dog!

Look, meat consumption is important. It is our easiest source of ready, valuable protein. Many cultures celebrate meat at the table as a source of wealth. Most anthropologists tells us that our ancient move to consuming cooked meat accelerated our mental development as a species, literally making us what we are today. Besides, people just love meat. And, I'm not great at being a vegetarian either. I still eat fish because I like the source of high protein. I will also eat meat if it is offered to me at a friends house. I'm certainly not going to ask them to throw it away on my account. That, to me, would be a bigger sin than sacrificing the animal in the first place.

I just try to do the best that I can every single day. And, I challenge you to do the same. If you feel you can't give up meat, a reasonable compromise would be to try and buy meat that is more "organic", i.e. from animals who are raised for consumption but live their lives more naturally and completely in a more humane setting. When they are slaughtered, it should be done humanely. I personally know ranchers who practice this type of animal farming. It may be more expensive to purchase these products but, in the long run, it is much better for the animals AND you. You can also reduce cruelty by limiting your very consumption of meat but choosing one or two days a week where you eliminate it from your diet. It's good for the critters and it will be good for you, too. You'll feel better from a number of standpoints. First, we eat too much red meat anyway. It will give your digestive system a break. Second, morally, you'll feel as if you made a contribution, no matter how small, to making the world a more beautiful place for ALL its beings. And, THAT, my friends, is a worthy New Year's Resolution.

PEACE - LOVE - HEALTH - HAPPINESS - FOR ALL BEINGS IN 2016



4 comments:

  1. I agree with almost everything you said .. Except there is NO HUMANE way to murder a creature with a soul ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That being said I wish everyone would give it up all together. Eventually that day will come , in the near future. . It has already started . Where people are becoming aware..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That being said I wish everyone would give it up all together. Eventually that day will come , in the near future. . It has already started . Where people are becoming aware..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with almost everything you said .. Except there is NO HUMANE way to murder a creature with a soul ..

    ReplyDelete