Sunday, December 9, 2018

Today's MOZEN: Small Steps

F LoBuono
Most of us, at one time or another, have experienced the hard side of life when evil and cruelty seem to be omnipresent and they simply overrun kindness and compassion. It's enough to drive us to drink - or, drug - or, both! Trying to change the world often seems so overwhelming. How can one, insignificant human being create enough positive energy to take on all of the world's many problems? It is more than frustrating. It can be downright demoralizing!

Well, for me, the answer is to not even try to save the WHOLE world. And, it's not what you think. Allow me to explain:

The world, and all of its myriad problems, is WAY to big to be tackled by most individuals. That task is simply overwhelming. There are only so many great souls like Gandhi or MLK who can create sea change. The rest of us are woefully inadequate to tackle issues of such great importance. Therefore, instead of attempting GREAT things to make the world a better place, it is far more effective to accomplish the LITTLE things on a daily basis that make life more bearable for all.

For example, I am not Vegan or even a true vegetarian. I still eat fish and if offered meat with no alternative, I will eat it. However, in an effort to minimize the cruelty that is so evident in factory farmed meat, I NEVER order meat in a restaurant or buy it in the supermarket. It's not perfect but it is one, small step in my efforts to make the world a kinder place for ALL sentient beings.

And, there are many more, small things that when practiced on a daily basis, collectively create a better world. And, it has little to do with any organized religious practice or ritual.

Here's another example:

On my way home from work, I always stop at the same gas station in New Jersey (because it's rarely crowded and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than fuel in New York where I live). It's usually pretty late at night and the same attendant pumps my gas virtually every time that I stop there. I'm always exceedingly polite to him despite the fact that he is ALWAYS terse and downright grumpy with me. On one cold night I noticed he was not wearing gloves and I offered him an extra pair that I had with me in my car. He abruptly declined my offer without even so much as a thank you anyway. It would be so simple to just bark my command for gas and not engage him in any other way.

But, his attitude towards me in the greater scheme of things is not important. I am nice to him simply because it is the right thing to do. His response is independent of MY actions. This, to me, is what is meant by the Eastern concept of Karma - the more good we return to the world, the more positive energy is to be had. It may not directly or immediately be returned to you but, over the course of time, it makes the world and therefore YOU, better for having done it.

And, it ain't that hard after all!

I suppose that it all comes down to a simple philosophy:

IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO TAKE GIANT LEAPS WHEN SMALL STEPS WILL DO JUST FINE. . . 

So, start steppin'!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment