Saturday, February 9, 2019

Today's MOZEN: The Subtlety of Racism

F LoBuono
The symbols  of racism, hate, and bigotry are often overt: think burning crosses, white-hooded figures, and the Nazi Swastika among many others. And, we generally think of those individuals for whom these symbols mean a great deal in the same vein - they make their intentions well known, often voicing their sentiments at huge rallies with others of the same temperament.
However, racism and bigotry can often be much more subtle and harder to discern. But, it stings with the same perverse intent. 

Allow me to give you a personal example.

I'm of Sicilian decent - both sides. So, I can trace my lineage to that ancient island, the largest in the Mediterranean. Because of its strategic location, it has been called one of the most conquered places on the planet. It has been desired (and, held) by the Phoenicians, the Greeks, the Romans, the Byzantines, the Ottomans, the Arabs, the French, the Spanish, the Germans, and, even the Americans.

Because of this conglomeration of influences, people often insult Sicilians by called them mongrels, referring to dogs of dubious pedigree. Rather than playing into their hands by responding negatively to this intended slight, I explain to them that I have the blood of Conquerors coursing through MY veins. Only the bravest and boldest individuals came to our island and created a new race of incredibly resilient people, instead of the weakness caused by the implementation of a so-called Master Race (a type of in-breeding that can lead to catastrophic genetic diseases like hemophilia). Sicilian genes are an amalgamation of only the strongest traits.

Another intended slight is to remind us that Sicily is less than 100 miles from the coast of Africa. And, because I am so swarthy, others (most often other Italians) try to deride me by saying, "you must have African blood in you", as if this was supposed to make me somehow inferior to the whites who say it. In fact, I have heard it said that Sicilians are the niggers of Italy

Think about that: The Niggers of Italy.

Once again, I try to turn the tables on my antagonists by countering, "I sure hope so. That would make me just that much better."

Now, let me make this perfectly clear: in no way have I experienced the blatant, vigorous, undisguised racism that has been visited on black Africans here and around the world. That is
Nicolas Maduro (AP Photo)
obvious. My hope is to point out that bias exists on so many levels, many of them not so easily apparent. We must commit to eradicating its ugly head WHEREVER it is found - subtle or not.Venezuela is the latest example. There are many ills effecting that country, including wanton corruption. However, racial lines can be drawn between the Mestizos (mixed race) who support duly elected President Nicolas Maduro (dark) and the purer, elite followers of the far fairer (in skin tone only!) opposition leader, Juan Guaido'
Juan Guaido' (Reuters Photo)

And, guess who's side the US is on?

Unfortunately, I am not surprised. Somehow, it seems to be in our DNA. And, only through awareness can we hope to eradicate the scourge of racism and bigotry. Again, we only lack the will . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment