Saturday, April 11, 2020

Today's MOZEN: Inside Out

F LoBuono
With all due respect to the Beatles, when I find myself in times of trouble, I don't have Mother Mary come to me. Instead, I go deep inside myself, alone. I seek seclusion and silence. And, like a big stew, I let all the ingredients of what's troubling me mix and blend. It makes for a hearty meal for the mind as I search for answers.

But, I don't want to be consumed by the search.

At some point, if we linger too long, our own problems can prove overwhelming. This leads to depression which is often a self-perpetuating condition. The more we think about our depression the deeper we sink into its depths. In other words, over analysis leads to paralysis.

The most effective way for me in dealing with troubling times is to first acknowledge that it's OK to feel. In fact, it's more than just OK - it is essential. This is what creates empathy in us, i.e. the ability to relate to the suffering of others. If we understand that we are not alone in our troubles, we realize that we are not alone at ALL.

Then, it's important to reach out to others. Go from inside, if you will, to out. Extend yourself to others. Call or message someone that you haven't spoken to in some time and ask how THEY might be doing. Be effusive in your praise of others. Lend a hand wherever it may be needed. Offer a good word to whomever may be listening.

After a short period, you'll be surprised to find that you can hardly recall what may have been troubling you in the first place! This is the beauty of empathy. In the end, we find that there is far more that unites us than divides us.

And, that is a beautiful thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment