Sunday, October 25, 2020

WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT: I'd Rather Be Alone

 


Now that the most important, and divisive, Presidential election in my lifetime (65+ years) is imminent, I've witnessed a surge in social media memes that are asking people to be more civil in their discourse. Of course, this is an admirable goal. Even when we vehemently disagree on policy issues, we should always keep our humanity in mind - and, that means, in the end, we need to respect one another.

However, there are limits. At least there are to me.

Disagreements on so-called political issues are one thing. There have been, and always will be room for differing points of view in my life. However, when those views express feelings of turpitude, I am going to call you on them. 

Politics are one thing. Morality is quite another.

So, if you wish to defend bigotry, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, misogyny, mendacity, greed, sloth, cruelty, malevolence, fear, loathing, and hatred as part of your political ideology, I'm going to call you on it - EVERY TIME. There is absolutely no room in my life for people who espouse these traits as part of theirs'.

People will often offer that we can agree to disagree or we can still be friends.

Well, that depends.

If your moral compass lies in my Red Zone (literally as well as figuratively), the answer to those questions is a resounding NO. I will NOT agree to abhorrent moral behavior OR ideals. And, NO, I will not accept immoral people as friends.

So, WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, I'd rather live alone than be surrounded by people lacking in even the least in moral courage.


5 comments:

  1. Is morality dichotomous or does it live on a continuum? As a former professor of criminal justice, my experience is that some people are adamantly committed one way or another, while others are finding their way more fluidly.

    Immoral and amoral are not synonymous. The latter is far more disturbing, methinks. As an educator, it seems important to differentiate. Thank you for the opportunity to discuss. ✨

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immoral and amoral may be different in meaning. However, in the end result, they are virtually identical. “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank, I was just thinking today, that when I was growing up I knew little about politics, only what was spoken at parties, dinner or holidays. The point is politics could be spoken about in a civil manner and disagreed in a civil manner. We did not have social media, but my town (Fort Lee) was filled with people of different persuasions but you never saw the hate and vitriol you see during our adulthood. I believe the difference is of course social media, but the people who have drunk the kool-aid have turned their moral compass inside out and their character into chopped meat. We are dealing with hate against empathy, very, very rich against very poor, color against color, among many other horrible injustices seething out of this country. It took ONE man and his little peons that follow him to almost destroy our democracy. Our democracy is not perfect, but has always stood its ground with both sides working towards the greater good. I am afraid we may never see that again.
    "Silence like a cancer grows" Paul Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, one more thing regarding your post. I have no use for people who adore this man, who stick up for him no matter what he does and believes his lies. There is enough shit to put up with in life, don't nee the negative. More than half of my family are Trumpsters and it boggles my mind. We don't argue about it (cause I never see them) but when one of the comments a stupid 45 lie I have to sit on my hands so I don't answer. Anyhow, thanks for letting me vent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know - your brother challenged me to block him - so, I did!! LOL

    ReplyDelete