Friday, June 11, 2021

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: Do I Get To Ride in the Limo?

In a recent conversation with a dear friend, the topic of Gay Pride came up. It was also the day our village's Gay Pride celebration, so the discussion was both topical and lively.

At one point, I mentioned to her that I had recently seen an interview with a gay man who professed that he had known that he was a homosexual by the time he was 4 years-old. Not having raised a child of my own, I asked my friend, who has an adult son, if she felt it reasonable for a boy that young to be that confident in his sexuality.

While not necessarily disputing the young boys claim, she related to me a story of her own son as a child to answer.

My friend's sister is gay and was marrying her partner. She decided that it was time to tell her son, who was about 8 at the time, that his aunt and her girl friend were about to marry and that they would all attend the wedding together.

Prepared to answers any questions about the union of two woman instead of a man AND a woman, she got this response:

Oh, cool! Does that mean that I get to ride in the limo?!

How wonderfully innocent! There was no confusion or judgement, only acceptance. At that time and place, it was irrelevant to him that 2 women were being joined. The only truly important thing was whether or not he got to ride in the limo.

There is a lesson to be learned here; what 2 consenting adults choose to do with their lives is THEIR business. And, we should support that choice. Our only concern should be if we get to come along for the ride. . . 



No comments:

Post a Comment