Sunday, July 4, 2021

Today's MOZEN: Being ALIVE.

Last night, while relaxing in my apartment after my penultimate day of work for CBS News, I had the good fortune of catching the classic film, The Misfits. It is one of my favorites. And, considering it's theme and my current circumstance, I found it prophetic.

Skillfully directed by John Huston, the 1961 classic features an all star class headed by Clark Gable, Eli Wallach, Montgomery Clift, and, of course, Marilyn Monroe. All are superb with Monroe's performance producing her most critically positive reviews. For my money, it is also one of, if not THE best of Gable's storied career.

The group forms an unlikely coalition of, well, misfits, as they search, each in their own way, for meaning in their lives. The film's climatic scene in which the group tries to wrangle the few (5) remaining wild mustangs in the Nevada desert reveals both the inner strength AND weakness of each character.

Written by Arthur Miller, the dialogue contains gems throughout the entire film. Here are some of my favorites -

When Monroe can't understand why Clift's cowboy character continually puts his body at risk in meaningless rodeos, Gable explains it to her by saying: 

The who's man too afraid to die is too afraid to live.

In the final scene, Monroe is horrified by Gable's apparent cruelty in overcoming the small herd's fierce resistance to captivity. She enlists Clift's help in releasing all of the captive mustangs. Gable discovers their plot and a titanic struggle ensues when he recaptures the stallion.  She is further devastated by the vicious battle between the two. However, she soon comes to understand his motivation, his raison d'etre, when, without warning or explanation, he sets the stallion free while uttering these words:

Don't want nobody making up my mind for me.

And,

I gotta' find another way of being alive, that's all . . .

The first conveys his fierce sense of independence. He may be an old man, doing things the old way. But, they are his way and he makes no apologies for it. But, he also realizes that life IS change. To be alive is to change - when it is necessary.

The second indicates his life style. It's a simple play on words but with an important distinction. He didn't say another way of making a living. He said, another way of being alive. This is a subtle but crucial difference! He will always find a way to make a living. However, how he exists is the key.

So, as I approach my final hours of my career her at CBS, I know that I will find a way to make a living. I just need to find a new way of being alive. And, I will. . . 


No comments:

Post a Comment