Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Today's MOZEN: Birthday Reflections. #68

 

It's unavoidable.

At least it is for me.

As my 68th so-called trip around the sun approaches, I find myself reflecting on where I've been, where I might be going, and, most importantly, who the hell I've become!

There is so much swirling in my head that it's hard to even think about and damned near impossible to put those thoughts into words.

The very thought that so much more of my life is behind me than in front is not lost on me!

68?

How the hell did that happen?

Well, I will say this:

I think that I've done OK, not just in terms of profession and career but personally too. Like all of us, I've hard my share of both joy and heartbreak. There have been some memorable triumphs and lots of miserable failures too.

In other words, my life has been full and I truly hope and trust that it will continue to be!

And, I am certainly (often painfully so) aware of my many faults.

But, I am also confident that my heart is pure.

Despite so many mistakes and so much pain caused to many, I have always tried to do my best to do the right things for the right reasons. My execution was often flawed but my intentions were always meant to serve a greater good.

At least that was my goal.

I'd like to say that I never intentionally hurt anyone in my life - but that would be ridiculous - I ain't St. Francis.

However, even with that admission I do feel that I've always done more to be bring light and life to the people around me than darkness and despair. I've treated people with the respect that I demand for myself and have put myself at risk to defend the principals that I was taught and still deeply believe: a commitment to social justice, freedom from oppression, and, above all, the power of love to conquer hate.

I always have, and will continue to look for the light.





1 comment:

  1. Happy 68! In the same place but I am a year older. Yikes. How did we get here so fast?

    ReplyDelete