Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Brain Droppings: On Dogs

Rex: our champion at Christmas

The 135th WKC Show at MSG
photos: F LoBuono

Congratulations to Hickory the Best In Show winner at last nights 135th edition of the WKC's annual extravaganza at Madison Square Garden. The Scottish Deer Hound was the first of her breed to win what is considered the Super Bowl of dog shows. I heard some deride her as ugly. But her breed was created for a specific purpose, and her design is perfect for that very purpose; to hunt deer over the rugged Scottish countryside. She certainly wasn't bread for "lap chair" beauty. But I found a certain elegance in her long, lopping gate, and joy in her smile. I liked her and am glad that she was crowned Champion.

But ALL dogs are winners. And not just the ones groomed to compete in shows like the WKC's - all. I've had them my whole life; all shapes and all sizes, but mostly large ones. All have been special and all unique in their personalities. However, they all had one thing in common and that is present in all dogs; an overwhelming sense of loyalty and the need to just please you. How can that EVER be bad? We wish we had that kind of loyalty and compassion in our family and friends! Our dogs are always glad to see us (unless they were in the garbage again!) and it doesn't matter if the time apart was 10 minutes, 10 hours, or 10 days. Every time that animal gets to be with you is a good time.

Sure there's a down side. They're a lot of work. Let's face it, dogs can also be downright disgusting. They'll roll in shit that would make a skunk puke. They smell. They shed. They destroy shit. Forget about wood floors. They are needy. They need to be fed. They need water. They need to be walked. They need your attention.

So, why have one?

Because they are as close to simple, pure love as any living creature can get. After thousands of years of domestication and breeding, dogs instinctively know that their very existence depends on our support and approval. Sure, some dogs return on the investment we make in them by providing services like herding, retrieving, hunting, and protection. But ALL dogs return it in their unquestioning love and loyalty. It makes for a beautiful friendship.

I got to cover the event again this year (I have many times over the past few years) and spend time back stage. It's a site to behold. In addition to the hundreds of dogs, there are owners, trainers, handlers, officials, and fans. It's a madhouse! But there is one thing that kind of holds it all together: the dogs. Most wait patiently either in their portable cages or leashed in the small areas assigned to every competitor. Some are primped to the point of nausea (at least by my standards). But, it's also obvious to me that the ONLY reason they put themselves through this insanity is to please their owners and handlers. And if their owners are happy, then the dogs are happy. And the world is a beautiful place.

5 comments:

  1. I miss my dog family :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lived without a dog for a year now and can tell you there is a huge void in my life. As much as I'd like to have one, my lifestyle is not conducive to pet ownership right now. And I know that even though I think the lifestyle isn't dog-worthy, any dog would be grateful for even the little I have to offer. They are indeed, creatures of wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies:
    As two of the more loving people that I know, you deserve a dog and a dog deserves you. You'll both know when the time is right and that lucky chow hound will have hit the jack pot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Padrone! Your economy of words is most appropriate here.

    ReplyDelete