Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Social Commentary: On Tattoos

To ink, or not to ink. That is the question.
Shakespeare - Ed Shakespeare!

Let me begin by saying that some of my best friends have tattoos. Some have had them for years. Others, following the latest trend, are recent to the ink. I have none. This, of course, just like getting one, is a matter of choice. It really is one of the wonderful things about living in a free (mostly!) society. What we choose to do with our own bodies is, indeed, our own choice and NO ONE has the right to interfere with those choices. I truly live the credo to each, his own.

However, with that said, I would like to share some thoughts as to why I made that choice and why I decided to throw my two cents worth into a discussion about a decision that is highly individual and personal. First, when I was growing up, tattoos were a rarity. And they were generally sported by men from certain socially outcast groups, i.e. sailors, bikers, ex-cons. At that time (the 60's and early 70's), there was a social stigma attached to having one. You were marked, physically AND socially. My mother, in particular, drove the "social stigma" message home. She also had a spiritual approach to the issue as well. Stella would say, "Frankie, me, your father, and God, gave you a beautiful, healthy body. PLEASE don't mark it or abuse it in any way". This applied not only to tattoos, but even hickeys as well! Don't laugh, but because of this, I don't think that I ever got a hickey in my life. I knew that if Stella should see it, there would be lots of 'splaining to do! Of course, Stella meant for that to include things you put INSIDE your body as well. That one, for some reason, I chose to ignore. But the marking part kind of made sense to me. I certainly didn't want to be stuck with something now that I would live to regret later. I suppose that's one of the reasons I went through so many girlfriends as well!

Anyway, as a kid, the only man I remember with a tattoo was my friend Ritchie's brother, also named Frank. He was older (about 19), a biker, rode a Harley, and was just about the coolest, toughest guy around. He had a tattoo of a little, red devil on the triceps muscle of one of his arms. Whenever he was around, all of the neighborhood kids would surround him and yell, "Frankie, make the devil dance"! He would roll up his sleeve, and by flexing and relaxing his arm muscles, the devil would "dance". That was over 40 years ago and I can still see that little red devil shimmy and shake. It impressed my brother and I so much that we even thought we would each get one half of some symbol tattooed on our shoulders. Then, whenever we came together, it (and us) would be whole. However, Stella's voice was ever present in our psyches, don't mark your bodies. Keep them CLEAN and healthy. To this day, neither my brother nor I have a tattoo.

However, that, as I said was over 40 years ago. Today, our social norms have changed. No longer is tattooing just for those living on the fringes of society. People from ALL social strata have found personal expression in their tattoos. MANY women adorned themselves with ink. Angelina Jolie instantly comes to mind when thinking of beautiful women sporting elaborate tattoos. Even one of my stepson's girlfriend sports an itzy bitzy one on her ankle. Another stepson has a tattoo on each arm. Many of of my readers are tattooed. In fact, with this generation, it is not the exception but the norm.

And therein lies my beef. It has become SO common place that it is almost like a uniform. Even though each one can be an individual piece of art and, therefore, personal expression, the fact that you even have one makes you part of a "club", if you will. It's almost as if you DIDN'T have one you would be an "outsider". This is particularly true in so-called "gang culture". To be a member, you have to wear their mark or brand. In fact, police often use tattoos to identify specific gangs. The need to be inked to identify you with a particular group is clearly illustrated in the film, Training Day. While riding together in a car, the character of the street tough, undercover cop, played by Denzel Washington, says to his rookie partner, played by Ethan Hawk, that if he wants to fit in with him and the other toughs from the street unit, he'd "better get his ink". So many athletes today, particularly African-American ones, are so heavily tattooed that the tattoos appear as part of their uniforms.

This leads to tremendous social pressure on young people to conform to what was once rebellious. And this can lead to poor choices. Just recently, 5 Ohio State University football players, including their star quarterback, were suspended for trading OSU memorabilia for free tattoos. This is a serious violation of NCAA rules and ethics and jeopardized their college careers. In the case of the star quarterback, it could have cost him (and still could) millions of dollars in potential pro-football salary. For a tattoo? Now THAT'S social pressure. My, how times have changed!

So, I guess what I'm trying to say, especially to young people, is this: it's OK to be different. Even if that difference sets you apart by your clean, bare arms, legs, shoulders, chest, and any other body part. I always felt the more pressure there was to do something, the more wary I was and the less inclined I was to do it. So, be a rebel: Think before you ink.

15 comments:

  1. I was told the same thing as a child. Tattoos were my favorite Cracker Jack prize and at 5 years old I would tell my fathr I was going to get a tatoo when I got older. I was 16 when I got my first, that was 1979. Needless to say, a young girl at that time was considered to be a slut if she had ink. No matter to me. I considered it art. I hung out with a well known artist, Huggy Bear, who to this day is a very close friend of mine.

    I witnessed many awful things people would do to themselves een though I was a fan, I would shake my head at them.

    I can say hat I have never regretted anything I have put on my body but know so many who do. I have been tattooed over 30 times but only have 19 pieces, additions, cover ups and the sort is why. I am also proud to say that I am indeed the first woman who got a "tramp stamp", this was not what it was called at the time.

    It has never interfered with my getting a job and I have often been complimented by elderly women and men alike, except for the old man the other day who didn't care for he dragon on my back and referred to it as 'the sign of the devil'.

    Two out of my three children have ink, one boy and one girl, but they were given guidlines, one as you put it was THINK the other....pacement is everything.

    THINK INK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, Frank, I think you should get a hickey immediately. They're a fun, dirty little secret and they are temporary. At least they were in high school. :o)
    I got my first tatoo at 40 and my second at 50. They say once you get one you're hooked. I think that's true. I'll probably get more when the mood hits. It's my way of being a little different than the other suburban housewives and I like the shock value. I think it's a very ego driven decision. For some of us just having a body is not enough. We need the embellishment. For others, it was just a drunken night's mishap. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most interesting and most appreciated, valizard! I really appreciate your POV. I wrote this for two main reasons: First, everyone should feel comfortable in their own skin, wether it's tattoo free or covered with them. I just feel that, sometimes, pressure to be "trendy", like tattooing is today, causes young people to make decisions that are not in their best interests. As you can well attest, tattoos are life-long decisions. You have been happy with yours but I know many who are not happy with theirs anymore. And this brings me to my second reason. I found it an incredibly interesting social study. Things that were once taboo (another cool Polynesian word -like tattoo!) 40 years ago have become mainstream. I find trends like that as fascinating insight into human sociology.

    In the end, if you are happy with yourself, everyone else can go screw themselves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gio, thanks for your comments! My wife has been trying to give me a hickey for years!!! LOL

    And, someday, you'll have to "shock" me with yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting Frank. Ask Bobby to show you his tattoo...Not :)
    Umm,during college in Virgina one male fraternity branded either their upper arm or their chest to join. Now that blew me away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter got a huge tattoo across her back at age 18. It was a statement about where she was in her life. It has great meaning to her now. I worry that it is not something she will want when she's 28 and there is no undoing it. Its not easy to hide either. I'm not against ink, just agree with you to think before you ink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Gio, 1 tattoo is never enough,
    We should all re ink our tatt's, keep the economy going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine - who knew?! Seriously, you used an important word that has bearing on Nancy's comment as well: BRANDING. Tattooing IS branding. It marks you. literally AND figuratively, for life. I know that what was important to me at 18 was not the same at 28, and, certainly, not at 48. Now, as both Gio and valizard1 so honestly shared with us, they are happy with the statements made by their tattoos and would not change them. However, I have many friends who do not feel that way. They are bored with them as statements. Their color has faded along with their meaning. So, if you get one, you'd better be prepared to fly that flag for a lifetime. That's always been WAY too big a statement for me. You are committed to living with that message. Now, for some, that's just what they want it to represent; a lifetime commitment to the ideal represented by that tattoo. But I have ALWAYS resisted "typing", labeling, and "branding" of any kind.

    What I would have young people consider is this philosphy: the human form is almost perfect in it's conception and one cannot improve upon perfection. And, for me, our true feelings lie within our hearts, minds, and souls. If this can be represented in injected ink, then so be it. But I prefer to wear mine, not on my sleeve (or my arm, back, legs, etc.), but rather in my heart, for me to choose when are where to show them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frankie, I'm afraid to ask? Where and what are yours?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you believe...as in Cattle Brand? In the late 80's and early 90's I would see a brand here and there when I watched an NBA game. Not some much now...just mucho tatoos !!
    And I must say...to look at Kat Von D, she is a beautiful woman (LA Ink)-tho the Tats are her love and expression-they distract from her natural beauty.

    And your comments Frank-about natural beauty being within are "spot on"-no pun intended :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christine:
    The first time that I encountered the so-called "cattle brand" was when I was about 22 or 23 and was playing semi-pro football. One of the defensive lineman on our team was a large, black man from the University of Maryland. He had a large, keyloid scar in the shape of a horseshoe on one of his arms. I remember thinking, "that's such a weird scar. I wonder what could have caused a horseshoe shape like that". After looking at it more closely, I realized that it was not a horseshow, but,rather, an Omega symbol. "So strange", I thought. When discribing it to an African-American friend a few years later, he rolled up his sleeve and showed me the same scar! He went on to explain to me that it was part of joining the fraternity that he had belonged to. He said that it served as a "reminder" of the slave days in this country. I understood but also thought that why, after all the deaths to abolish slavery and it's abuses, would one want to subject themselve to the same abuse? This is taking remembrance and connection to one's past to the highest degree!

    As for tattoos and beautiful women, I personally know a few very beautiful women who are tattooed, some of them heavily. And I love them all! Most are down right sexy! :) However, I remember seeing a layout of beautiful women, scanitly clad, in, I believe Vogue. One of the women was Angelina Jolie. She was on her stomach and proped up on her elbows. A sheer fabric was stragetically placed over her buttocks. I remember looking at the sweep of her arched back, from her shoulders to her butt. It created a beautiful, natural arch. As my eyes swept down with the line of her back, they reached the tattoo that adorns her lower back. I remember actually being upset when I saw it. As an artist who appreciates the natural form of the human figure, especially the female one with it's ample curves, I thought that the interruption of that sweeping line was a travisty. I stopped looking at HER and couldn't stop looking at what the hell was written across the small of her back. It ruined that shot for me. However, I am SURE that there were others who thought it was the sexiest picture imaginable! That's why this stuff is so subjective. And in the end, all that matters is for one to be happy in their own skin, however they choose - or NOT - to adorn it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you wish that the comment section had "spell check"? 'Cause my spelling sucks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So Frank-you get it about the "brand." Whew-quite shocked me when I first saw it !!Like-the shake your head-kinda wonder. Wow-I thought about the history too. All that suffering in the past. However,I respected their view. I went to a small Virginia "country" college. Felt like they were still fighting the Civil War sometimes. We northerners got quite an "education." Actually loved it-amazing education in and out the classroom.

    Guess your Blog envisions that being "open" to all aspects of life can only keep us growing ! Thanks...I enjoy your topics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I respect the statement that people are trying to make with their "body art". As I say and believe, to each, his own. However, there are so many ways to express one's self without permanantly marking themselves. And what no one has mentioned yet, tattooing involves injecting poison (i.e.) into your blood stream. It's anything but natural. In fact, for months after getting tattooed, you can't even donate blood. It's considered tainted. I just want people to think before they get caught up in all the hype. THINK, then choose!

    As for the South, it's like a different country! I've spent both wonderful AND terrible times there. But isn't that like everywhere?

    And I want this blog to be a FORUM. I try to get the ball rolling and then count on you guys to keep it going. Without contributors like you, Christine, I'd quit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you, Frank. I look at Angelina, who is breathtakingly beautiful and see the ink as a distraction.

    ReplyDelete