Sunday, May 11, 2014

Today's MOZEN: Mother's Day 2014

Stella LoBuono

Followers of this blog are no strangers to Stella, my mom. Her photo has appeared regularly in my postings. I use the word "mom" instead of "mother" because the latter sounds, well, institutional. And Stella is anything but institutional. In fact, I rarely even call her mom. I call her by her name, Stella. It drives her crazy, but no more appropriate name was every given to any individual: Stella Maris, Star of the Sea, her full, given name. How perfect. How fitting.

Ninety now, she comes from a long line of powerful women. Her mother, Theresa, although diminutive in stature, was a formidable person. Stella's sister, my Aunt Anna Marie, and my sister, Joanne, are also accomplished women. And, although she is aware of her advanced age, Stella is still a force of nature, influencing not only my siblings and me, but everyone she comes into contact with. She is kind, considerate, funny, stubborn, strong, sensitive, aggressive, passive, tough, smart. No exalted college professor, no guru, no mentor, could have have possibly taught me more about life. She is a complete human being. And, above all, Stella loves my brother, sister, and me unconditionally.

So, on this most exquisite Mother's Day 2014 (crystal clear, deep blue skies after days of rain and gloom), I once again express my love and admiration for this most remarkable human being. I am sure that you, my friends, share equal sentiments about your moms. I sincerely hope that you have the ability to enjoy their physical presence, as I do. However, should they have passed, I pray that they bathe you in the light that only a mother's love can bring. And, THAT, my friends, NEVER leaves.

Happy Mother's Day to all women--Mothers and Daughters alike, but most especially, to Stella!

1 comment: