Sunday, May 4, 2014

Today's MOZEN: A Short Story.

Words and photo by F LoBuono

When I walk, it's usually alone and in silence. For someone as verbose as I know myself to be, it affords me the opportunity to reflect in a way beyond words; spoken or written. Although aware of everything around me (part of the pleasure), the focus is turned inward. As fitting my rather hyperactive nature, I also tend to walk at a brisk pace, head down, with eyes straight ahead. Now, Nyack is a great walking town. It's a friendly one, too. It's one of the reasons that I live here. People bid you the time of day. It may be an acronym in other places but not here. A "hi" or "good morning" etc., is not rare, it is commonplace. When I encounter people along the way, I expect some type of greeting and salutation. Because my pace is swift and my focus inward, I usually whisper a pleasant, appropriate response. Sometimes, I just "mouth" the words. Often, I don't say anything at all. I just beam a big, broad smile, and nod acknowledgment, never breaking stride. It's just my way.

So it was the other morning. It was a beautiful Spring day and I was off on one of my sojourns. Of course, it was the usual routine on my way into town. I strode, head down, eyes ahead, acknowledging each greeting along the way in my usual manner; nodding, smiling, whispering in response, but never breaking stride. Eventually, I decided to stop at the Johnny Cakes dinner to grab a coffee and egg sandwich. It was so nice out that I decided to get the order to "go". I was going to take my breakfast and enjoy it at the River's edge.

It's a short walk down Main St. from Johnny's to the shore of the Hudson. And it's down hill, making my pace even more frenetic. As I rolled down Main St., I noticed an older gentlemen sitting on a wall, about a half block ahead of me. He looked to be in his 70's and he was hunched over, enjoying a cigarette. Remember, my focus my be inward but I am also aware of everything around me and this man caught my eye immediately. His clothes were rumpled and his hair was unkempt, giving him a slightly disheveled appearance. With the river in the background, I thought the image might make a good photograph. However, as he seemed to be enjoying his solitude as much as I was enjoying mine, I thought better of it and did not take out my camera. Just as I was passing him, he caught me by surprise by saying, "good morning". He seemed so intent on sucking on that cigarette, I didn't even think he saw me coming. As is my custom, I never broke stride but in a deep, low voice, almost in a whisper, I mouthed "'morning". After I had passed him by a few feet, I clearly heard him say, "fuck you". It shocked me for a second. Fuck you? What's that all about, I thought quickly. I also recall that a flash of anger came over me for a second. What the hell? As a younger man, I may have reeled about and confronted him with an angry, I beg your pardon? But I am not a younger man. I am mature now. Perhaps, because I responded in such a low, deep voice with a partial word, he had not heard me. I was already past him when I did respond. Maybe, he never heard my reply and thought that I was the one being rude! All of this flashed through my mind in a matter of a few seconds. But, I never broke stride. Instead, I just chuckled. Then, I laughed out loud - loud enough for him to hear me - and I said in a loud, clear voice, have a nice day!

I'm not there yet, but, perhaps, I'm getting closer.


No comments:

Post a Comment