Friday, March 23, 2018

The Measure of a Man: Jerry Donnellan

F LoBuono
When one lives as full a life as Jerry Donnellan, there certainly will be no shortage of tales to regale him by. My memories of him are loaded with stories of courage, integrity, philanthropy, charm, and wit that made him exceptional in every way.

But, this is the one that I choose to remember most - the story that, for me, captures the real essence of the man:

I had lost my first television job and was in that twilight zone between endeavors, searching for a permanent solution but taking any odd job that offered payment. I'm pretty good with tools and have a back as strong as a mule's, so I figured I would do handy-man gigs to try and pay my rent.

Jerry got word that I was looking for work. He called and told me that he needed some repairs done on the houseboat he lived on which was docked at the Nyack Marina (it was eventually destroyed by Hurricane Sandy). I went down to his place and inspected the job. Being a long time friend, I wanted to be as honest as possible with him. I told him that I felt that the work needed was beyond my skill level. I mean, I could do some basic carpentry and painting but this involved repairs that could not easily be hidden. If it wasn't done properly, it could effect the appearance of his home! His response was classic Jerry: I don't care. Just do the best that you can.

The point was this: he could have easily hired someone more skilled than me. He had the means and the contacts. But, ultimately, the quality of the repair was not that important to him. The fact that he could help me by giving me MEANINGFUL WORK was! It was not charity - it was employment. He never let me lose my dignity. And, he did this for virtually EVERYONE.

I did the best that I could - which was not terribly good. Jerry inspected the work, said it suited him just fine and paid me cash on the spot. I almost cried with gratitude.

THIS was the man - giving without question, ennobling everyone he met. He used the experience of a body broken in battle and instead of becoming angry and bitter, empowered the lives of countless others. What he accomplished for the veterans of not only this County but throughout the Country is immeasurable. He was a hero in every sense of the word. And, once again, our little village is a little less bright today . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment