Thursday, April 19, 2018

Today's MOZEN: Birthday Reflections

F LoBuono
In exactly one week from this posting, I will, hopefully, celebrate my birthday. It is a rather nondescript #63. Certainly, it's not one of the so-called biggies like 50,60, or 70. Still, it gives me pause to reflect.

I certainly don't feel like I'm in my 60's. And, fortunately, with the exception of my almost pure, white beard, most people say that I don't look it. Most importantly, I really don't feel old, either. Sure, I have the mysterious aches and pains that come with aging and I ain't running any marathons, either (but, then again, I never did!). However, I posses a certain vigor that, at times, can put younger men to shame. I suppose my lifelong hyperactive nature is finally good for something!

When I was a young man, I used to think that someone in their 60's was quite old. Now, of course, actually being a sexagenarian, my overview has certainly changed. And, it's not just physical either. Having 60 plus years under one's belt certainly gives one the perspective of experience. And, I'm proud to say that I have had a bunch, both professionally and personally. My work has allowed me to witness, firsthand, some of my generation's most historic events like a launch of the Space Shuttle, the election of our first black President and a Pope, among others. I've been married and alone. I've been poor and financially stable. And, I've been lauded and cursed. Mine has been a full life so far. Certainly, my desire is for it to continue for as long as I able to make things happen.

As part of my reflection, I have come to terms with the fact the older I get the more death I will also experience. Just within the last few months I have lost 3 contemporaries whom I loved very much. My mother is 94 and my dog 14. Many of my friends who still have their parents are in danger of losing them, too. Plus, some of them have their own age related infirmities, as well.

In the long run, to me, this means that we must prepare ourselves on a daily basis to live as fully as possible, as intensely as is feasible, and love as profoundly as is obtainable. We need not fear the inevitable. But, we must face it, not only for ourselves but with those around us. The only thing truly permanent about life is its impermanence. So, laugh while you can but don't be afraid to cry, too. Make your life as full as you can for as long as you can. And, the rest will take care of itself.




No comments:

Post a Comment