Sunday, April 8, 2018

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: Easter Bells

Photo courtesy of Holy Virgin Protection Church

Let's face it - it's been a crappy Spring so far - cold, grey, blustery. And, today was pretty much the same with the exception of a bit more sunshine. It sure has gotten to wear thin. But, today, I was determined to not let it bring me down. The first Nyack Street Fair was scheduled - the perfect excuse to quit complaining, get the hell out of my apartment, and take a sojourn through town and the fair.

Walking at a brisk pace to match the weather conditions, I reached downtown in almost no time. Broadway was loaded with vendors hawking their wares to thousands of potential customers. I suppose that many people felt as I did and needed to get out, evidenced by the packed streets.

I eyeballed some of the merchandise but did not feel compelled to buy anything - I have too much stuff anyway. But, I was hungry and did stop to buy a crab cake for 8 bucks. It was pretty good, too. I was also lucky to have had a good supply of dollar bills with me which I used to place in the buckets of the VFW, the American Legion, the Soup Angels, and the VC/Nyack Indian Little League Team. After having satisfied my curiosity, satiated my hunger and fulfilled my philanthropic endeavors, I decided to head back to my apartment.

One of the reasons that I choose to live where I do is because I believe that it gives me the best of two worlds: when I want activity, it's just a few blocks into town. When I want peace and quiet, I get it by walking back out and into my quiet neighborhood. So it was today.

I crossed the village line between Nyack and South Nyack - Cedar Hill Ave. - and the mood changed almost instantly from the hustle and bustle of the fair to the bucolic quiet of a neighborhood. I went a few more blocks when I heard them: bells, church bells. But, these were not the booming church bells most of us are familiar with. Rather, they were more delicate, like wind chimes, but more powerful and melodic. The sound was drifting down from the hills above and flowing towards the River. It was then that I realized that I was listening to the distinct sound of the bells of an Eastern Orthodox Church.

The Holy Virgin Protection Russian Orthodox Church is located on Mill St. in Nyack, just a few blocks from where I was walking. They were in the midst of celebrating it's most holy day - Easter Sunday. And, their distinct bells where singing with joy! The bell tower at the church is very different from those located in the Western Christian churches in town. Instead of a large bell located in a brick or stone structure, the tower at Holy Virgin is open and airy, with many different sized bells instead of just a single (or two) large one. They are also played differently - like an instrument with the operator pulling a series of ropes tied to the bells. He also uses his feet attached to others via pedals to add to this symphony of sound. The combined effect is a complex and appealing cacophony of rings and tinkles.

For such a delicate harmony it still stood out against the competing street noise. In fact, it was almost as if it gained volume when it rolled down the hill and reflected off the Hudson. It must have lasted about 3 or 4 minutes as I continued my way south and towards my apartment. Then, as suddenly as it had started, the bells were gone. But, that's OK. The effect they had on me made my whole day. It's the simplest of things that can make living here so wonderful. You just have to listen . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment