Saturday, July 28, 2018

Today's MOZEN: What's The Point?

F LoBuono
It's no secret: I have a healthy ego. And, by that, I don't mean it simply in a euphemistic way. My psyche is not just grandiose, it is also balanced. I say that because I know what I'm good at (a lot) and what I'm not so good at (plenty). I'm also aware of my station in life. And, it ain't grand. I've done OK for myself but, I am not wealthy or hold a position of power and real authority. I own some land and a house that I'd actually like to get rid of. I am not anonymous but certainly not famous. I've won few, if any, awards in my field. My sphere of influence is limited, if it is felt at all.

What I do bring to the party is a solid intellect, curiosity, compassion, and, above all, integrity. I use those principals to guide me in everything that I do, including my writing. I also have a kinetic energy that fuels a fierce desire to always seek more, accomplish more. I think of Ahab in Melville's Moby Dick when he said, I attempt everything. I accomplish what I can.

So, what right do I have to criticize a wealthy, powerful, famous man like Donald J. Trump? After all, isn't he the most powerful man on the planet?

Well, as I see it, not only do I have the right, I have an obligation to do so. In fact, it's more than an obligation - it's a duty!!

So, why criticize a man who has established an empire, regardless of how he may or may not have inherited his wealth? The fact remains that he has his name on major properties and buildings throughout the Country and world. He is attended by hundreds who do his bidding. I can't even imagine when he drove himself anywhere. I drive a car with over 263,000 miles on it! Mr. Trump is also virtually worshipped by millions. I'm pretty sure my mother still loves me. I think a few others may think that I'm OK, too. But, that's about it.

Still, there is a key distinction between me and Mr. Trump. And, that is integrity, something I believe I possess in ample amounts whilst he sorely lacks for any. The President has shown time and time again his dirth of compassion, honesty, and principals. Fact-finding sites have tallied his misstatements (if not outright fabrications) to number in the thousands and add to that tally on a daily basis. However, perhaps worse than the incessant lying is the inveterate bullying. It began during the campaign with Mr. Trump's abuse of a disabled NY Times reporter and continues almost unabated to this day. His former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, is now the subject of his latest round of bellicose behavior. And, there is no end in sight.

Most of Mr. Trump's supporters seem to be willing to accept this boorish behavior in exchange for policies they believe will benefit themselves and the Country at large. I simply cannot see things that way, nor will I accept them. I don't have significantly more money in my pocket (as promised). I don't feel any safer (Russia continues to hack our institutions). I don't fear a crisis of immigration (I love my Latin friends). And, I don't see anything GREAT in man whose language skills may be significantly less than the 12 year-olds he often acts like.

So, please, someone tell me, WHAT'S THE POINT?

His minions will counter that simply because he IS the President, he deserves respect. Again, I disagree. Respect does not simply come with a title - it must be earned. And, this man has far from earned mine. And, remember, rich is a relative word. Many with millions of dollars but lacking in integrity have far less to offer than a so-called poor man who keeps his scruples.



No comments:

Post a Comment