Monday, August 13, 2018

Today's MOZEN: I'm Working on It

F LoBuono
These are, to say the least, contentious times. Our Country seems to be divided by ideologies that know no compromise. I have said it before and it bears utterance again; we are in a battle for the very heart and soul of America. It is also no secret where my sentiments lie: I see little, if any, redeeming value in the current Administration.

I have made my call to action - vigorously at times. And, always with the same message: inclusion over exclusion, generosity over greed, compassion over intolerance.

But, the challenge, for me, is to present my thoughts with passion and conviction, while at the same time attempting not be guilty of the same sins I so want to condemn my opposition for!

One of the ways I'm trying to accomplish this is to acknowledge that we all have a story to tell. Every single one of us have experienced both exhilarating joy and crushing sorrow. It is this vast range of emotion that makes us unique in the animal kingdom. I believe that other animals also experience emotion but none with the magnitude nor diversity as those of human beings.

When we are angry, it's easy to label. In fact, I do it all of the time. But, that doesn't make it right! In fact, I know that it's downright wrong. If we have no foundation built on respect - for one another - there can be no path forward- only endless bickering. So, I have to WORK at it. And, it ain't easy - especially for someone as volatile as me.

I suppose the conundrum reads: is being intolerant of intolerance make you also intolerant?

This brings us to the debate of moral equivalence.

All things in the Moral Universe are NOT created equal. Men may be, but moral concepts are not. Robbing a store at gun point is not the same as lifting a candy bar - they both may be stealing but the degree of the crimes cannot be weighed equally. Also, just because someone did something in the past doesn't mean it's right for you today. That's like saying to your mom when you get caught red-handed doing something wrong, "but, mom, sis does it all of the time!"

Some things are simply irrefutable AND non-negotiable. Bigotry is not to be tolerated. Racism is not to be accepted. Cruelty is to be avoided. Wanton ignorance will not to be abided. Violence will not be condoned. And, freedom of speech is not to be abridged.

The key is to find a way to reach the common ground that brings resolution to conflict. Perhaps, it's listening more and judging less. Still, it's so damned difficult when someone spews the type of narrow-mindedness that has become the hallmark of this President and his followers. I just hope that I can suppress (figuratively, of course) the overwhelming urge to grab them by the lapels and speed slap them. I'm working on it!



No comments:

Post a Comment