Friday, August 24, 2018

Today's MOZEN: Refuse To Be Bullied!

F LoBuono

People who knew me as a young man might find this hard to believe, but I was bullied - a lot. The reason I say many might be surprised by that fact is because I was one of the so-called popular kids. I was an excellent athlete and Captain of the Fort Lee High football team. As a junior, I was the only player on the baseball team to log every inning of every game. I was Class President both my sophomore and senior years. Academically, I was ranked 40th in a class of over 200 students.

In other words, I was a high-achiever.

I also came from a loving and supportive family. However, that does not make one immune from bullies. In fact, I suffered at their hands frequently. You see, as a kid, I was terribly skinny - and, I hated it. Despite being a good athlete, I detested the idea of not being robust. Other athletes made fun of me mercilessly. They also mocked my name - hey, FRANCIS, is that a boy's or a girl's name? We were not wealthy, so they insulted my family. They ridiculed my clothes and did whatever was in their power to taunt me in every cruel way possible. They scorned my teeth, my hair, my skin, etc.

So, what did I do about it to survive?

Well, I fought back in every way possible - physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

As taught by both of my parents, I only used violence as a last resort. And, that was probably best anyway - because, simply, I'm not that tough. But, I am incredibly resilient and persistent. So, I let them know that I would fight them - today, tomorrow, or a week from now. They knew that they could count on me to offer resistance. They might bloody my face and kick my ass, but not before I created a little mayhem of my own. Through this impassioned defiance I earned the right to be left alone, if not their damned respect. It was if it was just easier to just leave me alone.

Therefore, to deal with a bully, a physical or emotional one, you have to let them know that their behavior will not be tolerated. Period. And, that goes for ANY bully - even one with the greatest BULLY PULPIT in the world.

It is no secret that our President, Donald J. Trump is one of the world's most inveterate bullies. In fact, calling him one does not shame him but, rather, emboldens him even further. I think he even likes being called one. He has virtually admitted as much. It certainly is no secret that he rules by chaos created by intimidation - you are either with him, or you are against him. There is no middle ground. And, if you are in opposition, there is no quarter against his rage.

Well, I don't know about you but I don't do well with bullies. Never have. And, I'll be damned before I let one who is supposed to working for ME.

Respect is earned, not given.


No comments:

Post a Comment