Friday, January 24, 2020

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: The Cardinal

Magic is a frequent topic for this blog. Not the slight-of-hand kind but, rather, the little moments that exist beyond the realm of the normal, and, when you let them, make the world a wondrous place. But, for those moments to become real, first, you have to have a sense of mindfulness, i.e. an awareness of the life going on around you. Then, and perhaps most importantly, you have to believe.

And, if you do, they happen all of the time.

It was a lovely day, surprisingly mild, especially considering the bitter cold of the last few days. So, I decided to sojourn into the heart of town and run some errands. While on route, I gave my sister a call to check in on the health of my mother, the oft-mentioned, Stella. She'll be 96 in a few weeks, and although still remarkably cogent and sound for her age, she's still 96. So, she has good days and bad. Yesterday was one of those that wasn't so good. She was somewhat confused and was continually asking to see her long departed mother and to go home to her old neighborhood in Brooklyn. It was worrisome because of the implications. As much as we love her, perhaps because we DO so much, we have to acknowledge that Stella is on borrowed time and we should make the most of every good day left. The conversation led me to think of my late father and other members of my family and friends whom I have loved but have left us for other domains.

As my sister and I discussed our possible next steps, a cardinal flew by, very close to my face and perched on the branch of a nearby tree. As all the trees are barren of all their leaves, the birds bright red color provided a stark and beautiful contrast to the rather grey and sad tree branches. As I have always found cardinals to be very wary birds, I was surprised that he allowed me to get very close to his perch before he flew away.

Cardinals have long been a mythic symbol of beauty, hope, and renewal in the midst of a dark and cruel winter. Their presence is also said to symbolize a visit from a departed loved one to bring you comfort in their presence. They leave you with the message that all will be well. 

Of course, to a believer in magic, as I am, the timing of the arrival of this magical bird was no mere coincidence. I had not seen one in weeks. So, why would I then, at that VERY moment? It couldn't be an accident. It just couldn't be. It happened because it was destined to.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it - because I still believe in magic.



No comments:

Post a Comment