Friday, July 10, 2020

Today's MOZEN: Why I Write

Words and photos by F LoBuono
Many people often ask me, why do you write? Well, many people haven't. In fact, no one has every bothered to ask me at all. But, after thousands of posts with very limited response, I often ask the question to myself, why DO I write?

I suppose that some of it has to do with having a masochistic personality. I enjoy the feeling of pissing into the wind. Or, perhaps it can be seen as a sort of mental masturbation - when the act is done at least there is some sort of satisfaction.

However, the real reason that I continue to bang away at an electronic keyboard is that it provides me some level of comfort on long, lonely, rainy nights - like tonight - when no one is around and most of the world's so-called normal people have long since taken to their beds. I have my thoughts and the challenge of breathing life into them by the words I choose to represent them. It's as if they are the children I never had. They become my friends, my companions, and solace.

Plus, I am free to express myself through the entire gamut of human emotion, should I truly possess the skill to share them - love, anger, hurt, laughter, fear, all from the comfort of my living room couch. There is no need for formality - at all. I can appear before my friends sans pant, should I so choose, without fear or reservation, freeing my mind to wonder where it may - and, share it with you should you choose to grant me access to your space.

The issue of who makes that choice is an entirely different matter - one that I have no control over. I can't make you read what I am offering. It's still a free Country. Therefore, it cannot be the main motivation to write. However, what I can command is what I think, feel, and subsequently share. I believe in the strength of my friends, i.e. my words, and that they will sustain me in the times when no one else could or would. In fact, they are with me here and now, filling, sustaining, and, satisfying me without complaint - the type of friends we could all use a little more of.


No comments:

Post a Comment