Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: A Confrontation

Many years ago, in my post-college era, I fashioned myself as rather bohemian. I had left graduate school to pursue a path less traveled. In other words, I was a rebel without a clue.

In keeping with the beat tradition, I rejected my rather advanced education and instead of embarking on a professional career, I embraced the counter culture. Therefore, de rigueur required that I work some kind of funky, alternative job.

So, I was making a living as far away as possible from what I was educated to do - by driving a cab.

In many ways, it was perfect for my mindset at the time: I didn't have to bring the job home with me - it was over at the end of my shift. I made decent money. I got to meet loads of interesting characters. And, since the job often took me in and out of NYC, I got to witness things that one can encounter only in a place with a pace as frenetic as New York.

Well, one day, I had just dropped off a fare at The Waldorf Astoria on Park Ave. and 39th St. It was the middle of the afternoon and traffic was quite heavy. I was stuck at the signal there waiting to make a turn when I noticed a commotion on the median that separates the north and southbound lanes of Park Ave. There was an NYPD squad car parked on the cross street and 2 cops where struggling to place a young black man in the back. I'd say he must have been about 18. Each cop (white, by the way) had one of his arms as they attempted to drag him to the car and get him inside. The young man was resisting while screaming: I DIDN'T DO NUTHIN'! I DIDN'T DO NUTHIN'! The police remained silent. They just kept restraining him and dragging him towards the squad car.

The more he struggled the rougher they pulled back on his arms, all the while dragging him towards their car. Pushing back against them with both arms and feet, he was still no match for the two cops. Eventually, the 3 reached the open rear door of the car. At that point, the young man made on last valiant effort to resist by bracing one leg against the car to give him some leverage against the policemen's efforts.

I distinctly remember how brutal the scene had become, so much so that I actually screamed out of the window of my cab - DUDE, JUST GO. JUST GET IN THE CAR!!!

And, then it got even worse.

At that point, one of the cops took out his nightstick with one free hand and preceded to forcefully ram the tip of it repeatedly under the ribs of the struggling suspect. Then, the other cop grabbed him by the back of his hair and slammed his forehead into the top of the police vehicle. The suspect went virtually limp after which the police threw him onto the back seat, closed the door, and drove away.

I was shocked by the brutality of it and actually recoiled in horror! I understand that the cops have a job to do and it isn't an easy one. And, I have no idea what initially led to the confrontation. But, I witnessed no violence preceding it. And, the young man was adamant about his innocence and didn't seem to be an imminent threat to either the policemen or the public. In addition, I saw no effort on the part of the police to de-escalate the situation. He was going with them. Period. 

That was nearly 40 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. And, it changed me.

To this day, I have no idea what may have caused that confrontation or what eventually happened to that young black man. And, in fairness to the police, without more context, it is difficult to know exactly what information they may have had to cause them to act in such a brutal manner. But, in light of the George Floyd case and others, I'm sure that it was not unique to him or other African-Americans. Besides, I have NEVER witnessed such cruelty inflicted on a white person. That kind of brutality is not easily forgotten - or, forgiven. I know that I have not forgotten - and, only Providence knows if it was forgiven.

Until we are ALL equal, no one truly is . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment