Sunday, September 12, 2021

Today's MOZEN: The Horns of the Bull


The path to Enlightment 
 should not been seen as a straight, ascending line. Yes, it has peaks of euphoria. But, it also includes dips of painful revelation. I avoided using the word failure because these lapses should not be seen as such unless you do nothing to deal with the issues that created them in the first place. You must be mindful, i.e. have the awareness that these areas need attention. Then, you must actively work to improve upon them.

Often, at least for me, it's hard work to change these issues because they are against your very nature - that which seems to come to you naturally - without thinking.

My birth sign is Taurus. My lineage/culture is Sicilian. Although both are associated with many admirable qualities like loyalty, integrity, style and class, learning, persistence, and more, they contain others that are less desirable. These include willful pride, stubbornness, a fierce temper, frugality, and judgement.

Because I am mindful that ALL exists within me, I have laid the foundation to perpetuate more of the good stuff and less of the bad.

Two of the negative influences within my personality that I am working so hard to change are my temper and my judgement.

Being a Taurus and a Sicilian is like having the double-whammy for fierce temperaments. I take no shit from anyone - ever - especially if you attempt to bully me. Simply ain't going to work. And, if you try, you are going to get the horns - Big Time! My temper is fierce.

Now, this in and of itself is not necessarily always a bad thing. We need to stick up for ourselves, especially against those who wish to oppress us. We also need to defend others who may not be cable of defending themselves. However, I have to learn when to let go of my anger. Everyone, even those who love us, are bound to commit some personal transgression at one time or another. As I can be so quick to anger (too often), I need to let go of it just as rapidly.

And, I need to be less judgmental. I have always set the highest standards for myself. I expect to give my maximum effort into any endeavor. And, I expect the same from others. However, I need to not only understand but ACCEPT that others set goals for themselves and need only to meet THEIR standards and NOT mine! Different IS better.

This means increasingly my level of compassion for others. Compassion does not judge. It does not ask why is this so? It simply acts to do the right things for the right reasons.

I need to remember these these things.

I'm working on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment