Sunday, November 28, 2021

Today's MOZEN: In The Quiet of Morning

Words and photo by F LoBuono

In the quiet still of some mornings, before the rest of the apartments in my building come to life and with no TV, music or other unnatural sounds except for the ticking of an old clock to distract me, I have the time and inclination to reflect.

Sometimes, the mornings are ablaze with golden sunshine. At others, like this morning, the skies are grey and dreary. For most of them, just before the coming of full light, the multitude of birds serenade me with a natural symphony that man-made music can only hope to recreate.

Then, almost as suddenly as they appeared, the birds are gone, leaving me alone once again, except for the ticking of the clock and the deep thoughts in my subconscious mind surging to the surface.

I simply sit and soak it all in, letting my feelings wash over me like a hot bath after a cold walk into town.

That's when they come to me.

- all of those whom I have loved and who have loved me and gone before.

There is no pressure on my part to make them come. I simply open my mind to the possibility that they may once again appear, if only in my mind's eye.

And, if I believe, they do come.

I most often smile but I sometimes cry as well. I miss them all - my father, Paul, Cynthia, Jim. And the critters, too - Sammy, Franny, Belle Star, The Bear, Big Red. . . I am thankful to have had them (and, still DO) in my life. I love them all.

They are always brief visits. The world keeps turning. We, I, must move on. It's time to take a shower and truly begin the day. Besides, the young couple in the apartment above me is now awake. I hear their footsteps as they begin their own day, too. And, if I wait too long, they'll be no hot water left for that shower!

I suppose, in this Season of Thanks, I am grateful to have those in my life today and to those who have touched my life in so many ways and continue to do so in new, magical ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment