Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Today's MOZEN: PUT UP OR SHUT UP.


On this date, January 12, 19
69, the New York Jets, led by their victory-predicting, white shoe-wearing, brash, trash talking, long-ball throwing, bad-kneed, Alabama Crimson Tide transplant via small town Pennsylvania, quarterback shocked the sports world by leading his team to a convincing defeat of the heavily favored Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III.

This was in the era of not only a divided Nation with 2 distinct sides squaring off over divisive issues like the Vietnam War and so-called Traditional Values versus the Damned Dirty Hippies, but even within culturally iconic institutions like the NFL.

People may have forgotten, but there were 2 major football leagues; the NFL and the recently formed AFL. The NFL, with teams in NY, Chicago, LA, and other major American city represented the Old Guard, the Traditional. The AFL, on the other hand, represented the New Order - bold, aggressive, and braggadocios. These teams included the Oakland Raiders, the Denver Broncos, the Kansas City Chiefs, the Miami Dolphins, and, yes, the New York Jets.

The Colts were rock solid. The had an efficient, if not spectacular, offense, led by the crew-cut Earl Morrall, backed-up the legendary Hall of FamerJohnny Unitas, a solid running game, and a dominating defense featuring the fearsome Defensive End, Bubba Smith and ferocious Middle Linebacker Mike Curtis.

Still, the Jets had some good players like Winston Hill, Jerry Philbin, Johnny Sample, Matt Snell, George Sauer, Don Maynard, and of course, quarterback, Joe Namath.

Many of these so-called upstarts are now enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame.

But, on this day, there were supposed to so much grist for the grinding mill that was the Baltimore Colts.

Oddsmakers established the Colts as prohibitive favorites and most of the world agreed - including me; the Colts were just too much for these charlatans!

Furthermore, I must admit that I hated Joe Namath at the time. He was flashy with, IMHO, an arrogant attitude that flew in the face of tradition. And, he wore those ridiculous white cleats! In complete contrast, the legendary Johnny U wore laced up, VERY conservative fully laced, high-top ones. It was totally symbolic!

Then, in a press conference just before the game, Namath GUARANTEED a win.

I was appalled. I mean, where was his sense of modesty?

I wanted the Colts to crush them.

Then they actually played the game.

And, you know what? The Jets did EXACTLY what Namath said they would do - convincingly! They had won their ONE and ONLY Super Bowl. There defense stymied the Colts for the entire game and fullback Matt Snell's bruising runs sealed their fate.

Perhaps, the image that sticks in my mind the most is of #12 surrounded by teammates and an ecstatic crowd, waving a single, defiant finger, #1, in the air as he heads triumphantly to the locker room.

After my initial shock and disappointed with the outcome, the magnitude of what the Jets had accomplished started to take its effect.

And, man, did my attitude change.

My admiration for not the only the Jets, but for Namath himself only increased once I saw the ENTIRE quote from him, not the edited clip aired by ALL major networks - I predict WE will win. I guarantee it. What he actually said was (paraphrased): if my team plays the way it is capable of, we will win this game. I guarantee it.

This is the ultimate TEAM player, really.

And, he was right.

PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

 That was 52 years ago. On that day he became for me, the one and only Broadway Joe. I have not forgotten. 

PS: From that day forward, I  wore white cleats for the rest of my ball playing days.

No comments:

Post a Comment