Monday, April 16, 2012

Social Commentary: I Won't Forget

Words and photo by F LoBuono

I made this photo at sunrise, using my cell phone. It was taken on the third level that makes up the grounds of my house. It is looking east from the base of Clausland Mountain (part of the magnificent Palisades) over the Hudson River and towards Westchester County. I have been so fortunate to witness this breathtaking occurrence on a very regular basis. I am a notoriously early riser and frequently take a cup'o'joe with me to the third level to partake in what, for me, is a soul rejuvenating experience.

While I revel in all of this breathtaking beauty, I'm never far from the thought of how hard I had to work to get here and how far I have come (a friend calls me a 1 %'er! LOL. I've done well, but I am far from the 1%). Growing up in Fort Lee, NJ, we were never a family of means and both my parents worked, and worked hard, to provide for us. We were never "flush" but we never lacked. And, most importantly, my parents instilled in all of us this work ethic: if you work hard, stay true to yourself, and stay on the path of righteousness, you WILL succeed. And they were right. Because I have and I have succeeded.

But they also taught us not to take things, and our success, for granted. ALWAYS remember those who are less fortunate and may not have had the advantages that we had. I used to think about what they meant by that. I never saw us as having any advantages - we were not well-off. But, as I got older, I understood what they meant. I had the support of a loving family, good health, and an environment that allowed me to explore all options and, therefore, to flourish. In the end, it's not as simple as work hard, get ahead. You don't only have to have the mind-set, you have to the opportunity, as well.

So, as I breathe deeply and bathe in nature's magnificence, I always balance my joy with the knowledge that I am, indeed, a very lucky man and not to forget those who are less fortunate. And I am at peace.

Peace to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment