Wednesday, April 9, 2014

FUN WITH WORDS

Words and photo by F LoBuono
It is fairly common knowledge that I am no fan of the English language. My readers witness my disdain for it by my frequent attempts to massacre it. Despite nine years of rigorous instruction and draconian discipline by the good nuns at Madonna Parochial School of Fort Lee, NJ, my spelling still sucks and my use of malaprops comical. But I have my reasons - the biggest of which is the English language itself. I present the following examples as evidence:

PEEK
PEAK
and PIQUE

Three, simple words, all pronounced exactly the same, but spelled differently AND with different meanings:

We could see the children at the top of the stairs, all straining to get a PEEK at their Christmas presents, stacked under the tree.

As a hitter, Miquel Cabrerra, is at the PEAK of his career.

After being scolded by her mother, in a fit of PIQUE, Mary stormed out of the room.

I rest my case.



No comments:

Post a Comment