Saturday, February 7, 2015

An Open Letter to The State of New York.

Words and photo by F LoBuono

2/8/15
Mr. Brian Conybeare
Special Advisor to the Governor
New NY Bridge Project
New York State Thruway Authority

Dear Mr. Conybeare:
Please add my voice to what I am sure must be a legion of other South Nyack residents who implore the State of New York to address our concerns over the Shared Use Path’s (SUP) location. I have been involved with the process from the beginning, attending all the meetings that I could. I even had a private meeting with South Nyack mayor Bonnie Christian to discuss the issue of the SUP.

Because the issue of the SUP is bound to impact the lives of all who will live around it, it has become somewhat contentious with a lot of “we said, they said” or “they said this, and we said that” innuendo. I do not have the time to waste, and I’m sure that you don’t either, on arguments that, in the end, are counterproductive. I believe that the State has an obligation to work through these difficult and contentious issues to the betterment of the people it will affect the most. And that should be the bottom line goal of ALL government.

With that in mind, I would urge the State to place the Rockland-side terminus at the location of the current Thruway Exit 10. It makes the most sense in almost every way. First, I’m sure that you are aware of the history of that land, the original Tappan Zee Bridge, and the Village of South Nyack. The Village, with little or no input, was forced to relinquish almost one-third of its property, causing untold hardship to many homeowners and destroying a once vibrant downtown – all for a giant, lopping turn to connect to a highway that NEVER MATERIALIZED. Well, Mr. Conybeare, it is time to right that wrong. It isn’t often that we are presented with the opportunity. Second, locating the terminus there is the right thing to do physically -there’s PLENTY of room for parking AWAY from private homes and already busy streets. And there would even be enough left over to build a comfort station or group of small stores. It could be an actual DESTINATION. Third, there is the element of giving back that which was almost literally taken. The Village could certainly make the most of the use of the land that was ONCE OURS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I have lived in this wonderful village for over thirty years. I have rented and owned a home here. I am very fortunate to be able to live just about anywhere, but I have chosen to live here. Why? Because this village has a great quality of live because the people work hard to make it so. We are INVOLVED. THIS is what this is all about. I support the SUP. In fact, I think it’s a great idea and I will use it frequently. However, it should be done right. It must be done right – for ALL to enjoy – especially the people it will affect the most – my neighbors in South Nyack.

Thank you for your time and consideration.


Frank LoBuono
Long-time South Nyack resident/


No comments:

Post a Comment