Friday, February 13, 2015

Love, Joanie.

Words and photo by F LoBuono
In Buddhism, a Bodhisattva is a being who has achieved enlightenment, i.e. they get the mystery that is life - completely. However, they delay their passage into Nirvana, or heaven, to "stay behind" and help others discover their own paths to enlightenment.

I am very fortunate to have one. Her name is Joan. She lived in town until she recently moved to California to live with her sister. We still communicate - the old fashioned way - by letter. I received one the other day. In it she told me this:

I have been praying to Jesus today and thought about you. The Lord Thinks very highly of you , Al (she calls me "Al" because I remind her of Al Pacino). You are an "upright man" He says in His Word. I agree.

Love,
Joanie

Now, Joan knows that I am not religious. In fact, I generally eschew formal religion. But, that's not what's most important - not to Joan. As a Bodhisattva, her job is to spread light and love. And that's exactly what she does.


No comments:

Post a Comment