Thursday, February 11, 2016

Today's Mostly True Story: Ramblin' Man


Words and photo by F LoBuono
It had been a very long and grueling remote – at least in terms of hours. Aren’t they always? But, we had been very successful at our assignment. We provided “live” coverage of the Iowa Caucus and the New Hampshire Primary for our audience around the Country and the World. And, we did it well.

As stressful and difficult as it is to do from time to time, it also provides me with a great sense of accomplishment. It’s an important job and not everyone could, or would, do it. And, like most difficult jobs it creates an intense bounding among the participants. I simply LOVE the camaraderie. Besides, it pays very well.

But, at some point, you just hanker to get home. Your job is done and you’ve given it everything that you have. I know that yesterday, after the last light went dark, I went back to the hotel to grab a bit of rest and a shower. Once in the shower, I let my mind wandered as that hot water cascaded over me. It felt so very good that I broke into a broad, prolonged smile that led to a giggle and then an outright belly laugh. The night was now mine. I would eat a good meal with my companions and sleep like a normal human being for the night. These are the simple things that give me great pleasure.

After a good night’s sleep (for me), it was time to pack and head to the airport. The drive would only take about 10 minutes and I had plenty of time to make my flight. So, I preceded at a leisurely pace. In the car the radio was tuned to a local rock-n-roll station. It seemed to be a decent mix of music, but I wasn’t really paying attention. I’m not sure why my focus changed to what was actually playing on but, suddenly, it did. It was the Allman Brothers and Ramblin’ Man.

Lord, I was born a ramblin’ man – tryin’ to make a livin’ and doin’ the best that I can.
Lord, I was born a ramblin’ man.

Kismet? Perhaps.

Volume now blasting, I pulled into the airport parking lot for the final leg of my trip home.

The song ended. I turned the key, shut off the car, grabbed my bags and headed into the terminal.

It just doesn’t get any better.

Epilogue: We made it to NY safely - 4 and half hours after we were supposed to! LOL I guess all's well that ends well. But, damn, my worst fear was realized - I missed my date with Rexie! Well, they'll be others. Peace. Out.
And, a Manhattan with Pete is the next best thing.






No comments:

Post a Comment