Friday, November 11, 2016

Today's MOZEN: No Surprise

Words and photo by F LoBuono
Where does one begin?

So much has been said already. Besides, quite frankly, I'm not sure WHAT to say. And, even if I did find the right words to sum up my feelings, it wouldn't make a bit of difference. Donald Trump IS the President-elect of these United States.

The results of last Tuesday's Presidential election has left much of the collective mouths of the Country AND world agape. Whether you supported Clinton or Trump, or, for that matter abhorred them, the resulting Trump victory came as a surprise to most.

Most, but not all.

There is one person that I know that was not surprised in the least - my mother, Stella. And, I wrote of it early on. At the very beginning of the campaign, I mentioned to her that it was shocking to me that despite Mr. Trump's hostility towards immigrants and minorities as well as his misogynistic tendencies, so many people were enamored with him. I understood the anger with the Washington status-quo, but couldn't understand how people saw him as a solution to that problem. Stella looked at me and nodded incredulously, "Frankie, many Americans, maybe even most, have secretly believed in the vitriol that comes out of his mouth: fear of foreigners and minorities. Distrust of anyone who may be different.  And, they have for a long time. They finally found someone with enough bluster to say it out loud".

She was right.

And, therein lies my heartbreak. It's not just that "the other party won". Every four years we go through this - at least half of the Country is pissed off at the other for having won the election. But, this time it seems different. It's not just that the other guy "won". It's the message that he used to win. The choice couldn't have been more clear. And, America choose Fear and Loathing over Reason and Compassion.

I suppose that it's fair to say that America was fed up with the Washington status-quo as represented by Ms. Clinton.  In fact, I was, too. So, I get that and I understand it to a degree. However, putting faith in a man whose message was one of division and, quite frankly, hate is more than just a little disturbing. And, we are starting to see the results of that message. Our Country remains terribly divided with no end really in sight. People have taken to the streets to express their displeasure with the election result. That will not change the outcome, but it can serve as a message to the new administration - we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it any more.

It is entirely reasonable to ask for time for Mr. Trump to implement the changes that he claims will "Make America Great Again". But, there is no time to support a message of hate, division, acrimony, and greed - ones that had been the hallmarks of his entire campaign. Until he understand that, I fear for us all . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment