Monday, February 13, 2017

Today's MOZEN: Depressed!

Tody
F LoBuono

This is getting ridiculous!

Followers of this blog are aware (hopefully) that I try to post as much as I can - daily, if possible. So, I'm constantly making myself aware of topics that may be worth writing about. As I consider myself a broad minded person, I look to choose issues and events that reflect those views. I attempt to give voice to the gamut of human thought and experience, as I see it. And, I make a conscious effort to keep them as positive as possible. I really do. However, lately, as the Nation's politics seem to be spinning out of control, it has been more and more difficult to find that diversity of topic.

And, it's depressing the crap out of me!

Everyday that I open a newspaper, watch a newscast, or follow the Internet, I find a plethora of evidence that President Trump and his entire administration are fundamentally changing America in ways that, in my opinion, are totally contrary to the very definition of who we are as a people.

As I have written previously, their are millions who find no fault in those changes. In fact, they welcome them. I, and many millions more, simply, and vehemently, disagree. In fact, I feel so passionate in my disagreement that I am compelled to write about it - almost exclusively.

I can provide a long list of missteps taken by Mr. Trump and his administration, but they are so considerable I would lose my readers long before the end of this entry. Let's just highlight the most egregious and far reaching ones:

1. Lying. The President and his spokespeople flat out lie. There are many examples(see www.politfact.com) but, perhaps, the most extreme may be Mr. Trump's insistence of widespread voter fraud without providing a shred of evidence. And, his minions support him in those "misconceptions" (see Kellyanne Conway and Alternative Facts). He has also used figures completely contrary to the FACTS to support his claim that violent crime (i.e. murders) was at a nearly 50 year high. And, the list goes on.

2. Restricting the Freedom of the Press (a.k.a. the 1st Amendment). Mr. Trump has personally declared a war on the press. Any entity or reporter that questions his methods or intentions is ostracized or completely eliminated from the conversation. They are labeled as False News, thereby ruining their credibility and insulating himself from legitimate criticism.

3. Attacking the Judiciary. Mr. Trump's executive order severely limiting immigration from certain foreign countries was challenged in the courts where it was struck down as unconstitutional. This sent the President into a rage where he and his minions claimed that the courts have no right to challenge his authority on these issues. The problem is it's the court's JOB to question him! His reaction to that fact was atrocious - and, frightening.

4. Poor choices in his Cabinet and Advisors. Mr. Trump's senior advisory, Stephen K. Bannon, has, by his own words (see NY Times 11/14/2016), shown himself to be a white supremacist. His choices for Secretary of Education, Secretary of State, and Attorney General were equally suspect and contentious. Now, his National Security Advisory, Michael Flynn, is in SERIOUS trouble for alleged illegal dealings with the Russians - and, then LYING about it.

5. Spreading Fear and Loathing. Every executive order that he has issued seems to be mean spirited in nature, i.e. they look for the worst in people's nature and exploit that. Calling for a wall to be built on our southern border with Mexico because Mexico sends us the "worst people" has created a national crisis involving demonstrations with hundreds of thousands of people from all over the Country.

6. Dismantling Agencies that protect the most vulnerable and the environment. One of Mr. Trump's most important campaign promises was the dismantling of the Affordable Care Act, i.e. Obamacare. And, he moved on this promise immediately. His followers loved it - until they found out that he has NOTHING to replace it, leaving millions without healthcare. Now, the public is outraged and are voicing it in town hall meetings around the Country. He has limited the power of the EPA to protect us by gutting it's budget and cutting its staff. NPR and other agencies that deal with the arts have also been severely limited by the current administration.

7. Conflict of Interest. The entire Trump family is guilty here. From the hawking of Ivanka's sytle line (see Kellyanne Conway and Fox News) and the Nordstrom fiasco - to the use of Trump properties for official government business -  to their Russian contacts, the connection between their private businesses and governmental duties presents a clear violation of conflict of interests. Legally, the President may not be liable. But, morally, it is still VERY wrong.

The more I sit and write, the more I realize that I could extend this shameful list. But, I think I've made my point. It's no wonder that I'm depressed! This crappy winter weather doesn't help either (LOL). Writing about me makes me feel a bit better. But, on the other hand, it reminds me that the fight has just begun.

Well, at least I have the Spring to look forward to.



No comments:

Post a Comment