Thursday, August 31, 2017

Today's MOZEN: The Simple Things

F LoBuono

The only thing really special about the day was the weather. It was dry and mild - rare for late August. Otherwise, there was nothing particularly remarkable about it. Bored simply watching the boob-tube, I decided to take the dog for a walk into town. We usually make the "loop", walking on one side of the street into town and on the other for the return trip. I really wasn't expecting much but a simple walk on a beautiful afternoon.

The first part of our sojourn was as uneventful as the day itself. We made our rounds - down Broadway and up Main. We met a few friends, paid our respects, turned around and started making our way home.

We must have been just a few blocks from my apartment when I spotted her. I couldn't believe my luck. Circling just above me, no more than 50 feet or so in the sky, was a magnificent Peregrine Falcon! They are not wholly uncommon to the area (there is a nesting pair on the old TZ bridge) but not so readily observed. They are not large birds and they are fast - the fastest animals on the planet. So, it is indeed a rare treat to see one so close.

Then, a few blocks later and just before I reached my apartment, I spotted a woman walking with a double stroller. Obviously, she was either walking twins or 2 young ones of a similar age. When I got close enough to look inside the stroller I noticed that they were indeed twins - identical, as a matter of fact. They were SO much so that not only were they wearing the same clothes, they had the EXACT same smiling expression of their faces - and, I mean EXACT!! I couldn't help but smile.

It once again reminded me that, if you keep an mind and heart, and lower you expectations, you'll always find something to smile about.

1 comment:

  1. Until one learns to appreciate the everyday simple things, those grand things will be less grand.

    ReplyDelete