Monday, September 25, 2017

Today's MOZEN: What Would Frankie Do?

F LoBuono

In light of the latest raging controversy created mostly by the President of the United States regarding kneeling by NFL players during the playing of the National Anthem, I have been asked a fair question: what would I do if I were currently playing in the league?

I can answer without hesitation: I would stand.

I would do so because that's the right way for ME.

But, at the same time, I would MAKE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR that I support my teammates in their efforts to bring light to an issue that must be addressed. Furthermore, I would support their rights as AMERICANS, protected by the 1st Amendment to the Constitution, to EXPRESS THEMSELVES IN PEACEFUL PROTEST.

And, as a physical gesture of that support, I would stand next to a kneeling teammate with my hand firmly on his shoulder - and, that's where it will remain.

An issue like this should never divide us. As we would wish to have our voices heard regarding this matter without fear of being silenced, why should it be any different for those in opposition? That's the BEAUTY, if you allow yourself to see it - FREEDOM to speak you mind. Don't be afraid! It doesn't mean LESS freedom. In fact, it means more. So, as I would not take that right from you, why would you take it from others? It's downright UN-AMERICAN.

3 comments:

  1. The catch Frank is what are they kneeling for? If you believe it is because of a leaders broad unfairness to a group of our citizens, standing even though you are standing next to a kneeling individual sends a mixed message of commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not as I see them. Because they are related but still separate issues. It's all in how we work to solve the problem. There is more than one way.

    ReplyDelete