Sunday, February 4, 2018

When You Think About It: The Stupid Game

F LoBuono

It's a stupid game. Violent and bellicose. It has rocked me to my core; physically, mentally, and emotionally.

And, I loved it.

Football is not for everyone - and, perhaps, THAT'S why I played it.

I started playing football as a prepubescent boy in my hometown of Fort Lee, N.J. My first Pee Wee football team was called the Jets after one of the NY franchises (as a Giants fan, I was mortified -even then). But, instead of green jerseys, we wore red. I remember my first coach like it was yesterday - Mr. Hangenmeuhl (sp). And, we dared not call him anything but MR. Hangenmeuhl, or COACH. Anything else was deemed disrespectful and was not tolerated. Discipline, in every way, was to be an integral part of the lesson. Coach dished it out in spades. Tardiness was not tolerated. Talking back was not tolerated, nor was slovenly behavior. And, Coach always practiced what he preached. He was never late for a practice and gave himself totally to his charges. He only asked the same in return. Also, as a gesture of respect for the players, their families, and the game itself, he dressed in a jacket and tie for EVERY game we played. He taught me that there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything. And, we were ALWAYS to try our best to do things correctly.

It was one of the many lessons that transcended the game and has stayed with me my entire life.

And, there were more.

My career in football continued through high school, college, and even a bit of semi-pro ball. And, I got pretty good at it, too. I was never an all-star much less an All-American. But, I was good enough to captain both my high school and college teams. Of course, I dreamt of playing professionally. It was one of my life's ultimate goals and I dedicated myself to the cause. But, I was simply not skilled enough, big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to compete on that level. Now, I don't live for regrets; it's not my style. However, if I did have one, it would be that I couldn't find a way to play professional football. Others my relative size and speed made it - why didn't I? I have to console myself with the fact that I did the best that I could for as long as I could. It just wasn't meant to be.

But, the question remains, why would I be so enamored of a game that promotes the violence I now abhor.

I suppose the answer lies not in the violence itself, but in our ability to overcome it. I mean I've been hit so hard by an opponent on the football field as to knock me into an altered state of consciousness. There were moments when the collisions were so violent that I felt like my teeth had actually been knocked lose. And, as often as I was dealt blows, I could dish them out, as well. I loved to tackle and, despite being one of the smaller players, set my college team's record for the most tackles in a single season. I would hurl myself, often grunting and screaming, at my opponents without fear or hesitation. I made myself a human missile - and, an effective one to boot!

As a news cameraman, I have filmed many spectacular events including a Space Shuttle launch and multiple hurricanes. Still, as spectacular as those events are, standing at the 50-yard line of a professional football game is as awesome as any of them. When the ball snaps and players start running towards you, it is as if someone has taken the oxygen out of the air. It is that intense. And, when they collide, often screaming at one another, it's like a steal door slamming. The crowed roars and they get up to do it all over again - and, again.

This is, I suppose, in addition to the raw excitement of the surroundings, is the greatest part of the game: you are going to get knocked down - repeatedly. In fact, sometimes, you will be knocked down so violently that you question your own ability to get up. But, you do. And, THAT'S the point - that's the attraction: it's not a question IF you will be knocked down, IF you will hurt. That is inevitable. It remains to be see not only if you CAN get up, but how MANY time that you can, and if you can achieve your goal despite it all.

That's why I love it.

Enjoy THE GAME!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment