Saturday, May 26, 2018

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: The Eagle


The Tappan Zee (photo F LoBuono)
It started out as a pretty routine commute. Except, instead of my usual route heading south and crossing into NYC via the George Washington Bridge, I decided to take the new Mario A. Cuomo Bridge over the Tappan Zee and into town from there (I'll leave the name controversy for another post).

It was an unusually warm afternoon and the traffic surprisingly (and, wonderfully) light. I set my cruise control for 63 mph as I merged onto the bridge. I just started up the incline towards center span when I noticed a bird flying solo in the distance and about to transect the bridge. What struck me about the bird was how brilliantly white most of it appeared to be. Being over the water, I assumed it to be one of the many seagulls that inhabit the area.

American Bald Eagle (photo source unknown
However, as I approached the crest of the bridge's incline, the bird was just about directly above me and I could see it more clearly. And, it wasn't a seagull at all. It was a fully mature Bald Eagle in full flight, massive wings catching the updrafts, propelling it effortlessly over the span, bright white head and tail feathers almost blinding in the afternoon sun. What a magnificent creature. What a breathtaking sight!

Of course, it was over in an instant. The eagle continued his journey and, me, mine.  Still, in those brief seconds I could not help but consider two things: First, how fortunate am I to live in an area to encounter such an incredible animal? And, second, the significance of the presence of a Bald eagle, the symbol of American independence and commitment to freedom, regardless of the cost, on a Memorial Day Weekend when we honor our war dead, was not lost on me.

                                                               NEVER FORGET.

F LoBuono





1 comment:

  1. I think you were a bird in a past life! So many of your stories star the dramatic entry of a bird at a crucial moment that reminds you how magnificent life really is.

    ReplyDelete