Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: A Movie Encounter

Rex and Frank LoBuono

Rexie and I were taking one of our daily sojourns from my apartment in South Nyack into downtown Nyack. With his advanced age (about 147 in human years!), we go at his pace - which is one or two steps slower than a snail's. But, that's OK. At 14+, he's earned the right to take his time.

We were on our way to the little grocery market on the north side of Broadway to get some basics when I noticed a movie set at the corner of Main and Broadway. Apparently, the HBO series "Ray Donovan" was shooting at O'Donoghues Tavern. The principal, Liev Schreiber, was in front of the tavern being filmed with a Steadycam. I stayed long enough to make a photo and then went on with my business.

Scene from "Ray Donovan" in Nyack

On the way back they were still shooting but I did not linger to observe. Instead, a woman approached me as I was crossing the intersection. She was middle-aged with artificially black hair. As it had started to rain gently, she was carrying a bright blue umbrella. Ironically, at the same time, she was wearing rose-tinted sunglasses, reminiscent of the old hippy days.

I thought perhaps someone from the production noticed Rexie and I crossing and they were going to ask us to make a cameo appearance. ;)

She came right up to me and, instead of inviting us on set, said: OMG, your dog is starving! Please feed him!

I replied: I beg your pardon?

She continued: we were watching from the set and we were all shocked at the condition of your dog.

Smiling, I explained to her that Rexie is painfully thin because, to borrow a phrase, he's older than dirt and, because of that, we not able to keep his weight on anymore.

The woman persisted: PLEASE. PLEASE feed him! He looks so SAD.

Rather than losing my cool, I continued smiling and once again tried to explain that the dog eats better than I do. He was happy, in no pain or distress, and loving the golden years of his life. I also thanked her for her concern. This seemed to calm her fears enough to go back to her own business.

Now, in hindsight, I'm kind of proud of myself. I could have been a hell of a lot more rude and told the woman to mind her business. But, I stopped myself in time by telling myself that the woman's motivation was well-intentioned - if you didn't know it, Rexie does look a little sad. So, instead of telling her to piss off, I thanked her for taking the time to find out.

I'm getting better at this.

Indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Restraint, Grasshopper, restraint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! And fascinating on 2 levels: that Ray Donavon films in Nyack (who knew?!), & that Rex appears sad - I get no sense of that from your FB pics, Frank.

    ReplyDelete