Thursday, June 21, 2018

Today's MOSTLY TRUE SHORT STORY: The Boys of Summer

F LoBuono

It poured like the dickens all night long. But, by 11 in the morning, the sun had vanquished the clouds and the temperature was raising rapidly. The Summer Solstice had arrived earlier and was not about to be denied its existence.

So, I decided to sojourn into town and check out the weekly farmer's market. I was crossing the intersection of South Broadway and Clinton when I noticed a young man and, I assumed, his father, waiting at the bus stop. The boy was pacing nervously while dad patiently waited. He must have been about 10 or 11 and was wearing a #99, Aaron Judge official Yankee jersey. Being a huge Yankee fan myself and since it was such a beautiful day, I decided to engage the youngster:

Hey, how 'bout that great win last night? referring to a dramatic Yankee win the night before.

The boy smiled shyly but did not respond.

Judge is certainly awesome but it was Stanton who came through in the clutch.

Again, no engagement. The boy returned to the relative safety of his dad's side.

Instead, the father responded: That's where we're going - to Yankee Stadium - together!

If his smile would have been any bigger or brighter, I'm sure I would have been blinded.

I replied: Awesome. And, you have a great day for it, too. The gods have smiled on you. Enjoy every minute. GO YANKEES!

I gave them 2 thumps-up and continued on my way. It was then that I felt them - goosebumps! I actually had goosebumps thinking about those 2, together, at the game. It gave me such a strong connection to the times when I was that boy's age and my father would take me to the Stadium to watch his beloved NY Yankees. It was as if I had been transported, even for just a moment, to those innocent times in the Bronx with my father. I have not forgotten - I just needed to be reminded.

Yes, indeed, welcome Summer!

PS: Aaron Judge homered in a Yankee 5-4 win.


1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing man you have a gift to capture the soul of the story you’re telling . You really get to the heart of the matter ��Thank you

    ReplyDelete