Sunday, June 10, 2018

Today's Mostly True Short Story: Stove Lessons


F LoBuono
Recently, the ancient stove in my apartment finally gave up the ghost. I had burnt my last meal with it. So, I made arrangements with my landlord to get a new one. The delivery was scheduled for a Saturday morning.

The truck pulled up just about on time. I was surprised that only one man popped out of the cab to deliver and install the new one while removing the old one - I'm on the second floor! I greeted him and offered my assistance. He thanked me and politely declined my help.

Further shocking to me was that he was not a young man. Although well-muscled, he sported short grey hair and a drooping, virtually all white, Fu Manchu style mustache. He wore a short-sleeved T shirt exposing his hairy arms that were covered in tattoos turned a gun metal blue with age. I noticed that he seemed to walk with a slight limp as he prepared the truck to make the delivery.

While he was disconnecting the old unit, we struck up a conversation. I discovered that he was not a young man, indeed. He was 64! He also told me that in the last few years alone, he had undergone 4 heart bypass operations. I was amazed that he still appeared healthy and fit and told him so. Of course, he said that he wasn't sure at his age how long he would be able to continue this line of work. But, he assured me that he could do the job!

During our conversation, I told him that I worked for a major TV news outlet. Of course, that led to further discourse on the current state of our Country. Because I worked for TV news, he made the assumption that I would be "anti-Trump".  Rather than simply labeling him as a Trump supporter, I decided to engage him by saying, well, I wish he would just tell the truth from time to time. He lies constantly. He kind of evaded that statement by telling me how Obamacare caused him to pay far greater premiums and lose his long-time doctor. Now, for a man who has had 4 open heart surgeries, that IS a big deal. Nothing else seemed to matter.

Now, I GET IT. This was a hard working, family man with 4 grandchildren who just wanted to live a long, healthy life. He worked hard so he EARNED it. And, he was willing to fight to keep it. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's admirable.

In my mind, the problem is with the man he put his faith in to make that happen - Donald J. Trump. In the short term, he got his personal physician back and that was enough to not look further. Mr. Trump, in his mind, had delivered on a promise. Now, in fairness, and I hope this doesn't come across as arrogant, but he was not really capable of understanding things in a bigger picture. He wanted what he wanted and he was willing to support anyone whom he thought might deliver. And, Mr. Trump pushed all the right buttons. He was not very concerned with issues that he did not see would effect him as directly. This is certainly understandable. But, the question remains - is that way of thinking the BEST way to our COLLECTIVE future?

Sweating profusely, he finished the job - new stove in, old out. I handed him a $10 bill for his efforts. He thanked me and quickly shoved the sawbuck into his pocket.

This is typical of most working people in this Country. They are good people - hard working and honest. They sacrifice themselves for the good of their families. This is indeed admirable. However, it also makes them vulnerable to snake oil salesmen, i.e. those who will tell them anything they need to hear just to get elected, then violate that trust. Sound familiar?

So, what is the solution?

People of conscious need leaders who can deliver a message that resonates with ALL Americans! How can we create a nation of INCLUSION rather than the path of exclusion that we are currently on? They need to convince people that a compassionate society is not good for just SOME, but for ALL. They have to let them know that a little sacrifice in one area can produce greater benefits in others. Now, this is the challenge - to get people to act beyond their own self-interest. When we can, we will have our Country back.

No comments:

Post a Comment