Saturday, June 15, 2019

Today's MOZEN: For My Father

F LoBuono
Perhaps, it was because he lost his father when he was just a boy - 12 to be exact. But, nothing was more important to my old man than being a father. Nothing. And, he both said it AND demonstrated it on virtually a daily basis. Even when I was an adult and living on my own, my father still played an active role in my life. In fact, he called me on the phone virtually night that he was alive.

Here was a typical conversation:

What ya' doin'?

Dad, I just got home from work. I was going to do some laundry, make something to eat, and probably just watch the Yankee game.

Oh, well, your mom is cooking so you can come here, eat, do your laundry, and we can watch the game together.

Sometimes I'd take him up on the invitation but, often time and logistics prevented it. However, it never ceased to make me smile. It was so genuine. You never had to bring him anything but yourself. Your very presence was gift enough.

Well, I'm amazed when I hear others complain about absent or even deadbeat fathers. That's so alien to my life! My father was so loyal and loving to me, my brother and sister that I think that our relationship even made my mother jealous!

So, here's to the dads who actually do give a shit. I know that you are out there. And, I salute you. There is no greater gift than to give of yourself to your children.

Epilogue: It's so strange, but in searching for a photo of me and my father together, I could not find a single one . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment