Monday, September 2, 2019

Today's MOZEN: Life is What You Make It

Words and photo by F LoBuono
Storms had rolled in, providing a break from the late summer's relentless sun and making it a perfect day for a sojourn into town. I needed a few items from the local Korean grocery anyway, so I grabbed my umbrella and made my way out the back door to begin my journey.

It was raining lightly but I was well protected under my over-sized umbrella. I was about halfway down Broadway when I heard the sound of a lone trumpet coming from an open window located in one of the classic, old Victorian homes that line that historic street. Apparently, someone was practicing on the horn, playing a series of scales in different keys. Combined with the patter of the gentle rain tapping on my umbrella, it made for a most pleasant interlude.

And, I smiled - broadly.

I continued my walk into the heart of town, passing a restaurant where this past Saturday night, two people were shot and one was stabbed.

No, folks, Nyack is NOT paradise. No place truly is. It is a real place with real issues. Parking sucks. Taxes are outrageous. The Friday and Saturday night bar scene resembles Dodge City. And, affordable housing is becoming more and more hard to find.

But, it is also beautiful, caring, and accessible. It has the River and the Palisades. There are also people whom believe in taking an active part in where and how they live. And, there are moments as sublime as the sound of a gentle rain and a lone trumpet to guide your way.

Life anywhere is what you make it.

And, I love it.


2 comments:

  1. I agree, life is what you make of it. I love Nyack, warts and all AND you won’t catch me out and about after midnight unless I am with a group of friends. I love Maureen’s Jazz when my schedule allows. My heart really soars EARLY in the am, catching a coffee at either Art Cafe or Boxer Doughnuts and on the days that I don’t have to be working early, riding my bike to the river or to the bike path to Piermont. This town rocks my soul, no doubt about it, warts and all.

    ReplyDelete