Sunday, November 8, 2020

Today's MOZEN: Taking It To The Streets

 

F LoBuono

Because of my position with a major news outlet, I have had the great privilege to witness some of the most important political events in our Country's history. To name just 2, I was front row-center to experience the joy when Barack Obama accepted the Democratic nomination for President in 2008. I was also at the Javits Center in New York when Hillary Clinton got the heartbreaking news that she had lost the 2016 Presidential election to Donald Trump.

However, I must admit that I've never seen the unadulterated joy of millions of people, not only in this Country but from around the world, at the defeat of our current (but, not for much longer) President, Donald J. Trump. Bells were ringing, horns were blaring, and people were dancing in the streets. It was as if a huge, debilitating weight had been lifted off the collective shoulders of so many Americans. After 4 years of a President and Administration that I'm confident history will declare as the worst since the inception of America, The People could once again breath the clean, fresh air of a new birth of freedom!

I was in the lounge, taking a lunch break from working in our the newsroom on W57th St. in Manhattan when I heard a mighty commotion. It surprised me because it was SO loud. Cars were beeping their horns, people were flooding the streets, cheering and banging on pots and pans. I couldn't imagine what it might me. That was until my phone started ringing to alert me to return to the newsroom ASAP: Joe Biden had broken through to become the President-elect. As you can imagine, the newsroom exploded with activity!

Of course, the newsroom chaos lasted well into the night. However, so did the street celebrations. In my little village of Nyack, NY, Main Street had to be literally shut down to accommodate all of the revelers!

Now, I know that 70 million people actually voted for Mr. Trump. That's a number simply too large to ignore. I may NEVER fully understand exactly WHY they did so, but that's irrelevant for this post. Over 74 million Americans DID vote for Joe Biden and their joy was made most apparent in the most celebratory of ways - the American way - taking it to the streets - with NO hint of violence. Perhaps, NOW we can truly Make America Great Again.

Because the Country has been so wounded by Mr. Trump, Mr. Biden's road will not be an easy one. We are still seriously fractured and Republican opposition, led by the likes of Mitch McConnel, is bound to be fierce. But, if the conciliatory tone taken by President-elect Biden in his speech made immediately after he was officially declared the winner is any indication of what we can expect over the next 4 years, we are most certainly in good hands. And, as he said in that speech:

If Americans come together, there is nothing we cannot do.

Order will be restored.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

2 comments: