Saturday, October 23, 2010

To the victor, the spoils.


My beloved NY Yankees went down to defeat last night, ending the ALCS and their season. And it was a sad affair. It wasn't just that they had lost (and to a damn good team), it was how they lost. They went out with a whimper. How ironic was it to watch the games highest paid player watch a third strike slip by, as if defining the season's futile end? Well, they'll all be watching two, hard working, risk taking, charmed teams slug it out for all the marbles.

The defending and freakin' 27 time World Champions were outplayed in every phase of the game. To quote Bruce Willis in "Die Hard", they "got butt f. . d on national TV"!

Now we New Yawkas are a demanding bunch. New York is acknowledged as the most competitive city on the planet. Yes, we're a little aggressive, too. You gotta problem with dat buddy? Anyway, New York is about striving to be the best at everything - and on a daily basis. We demand it in ourselves AND in are ball clubs, especially the NY Yankees. They have come to symbolize the very nature of what it is to live and work in NYC. Much like the City itself, they are about the business of winning. The fact that they wear PINSTRIPED uniforms is no accident - literally. They were designed to give the Yankees the aura of team whose business was winning baseball games. And these NY Yankees have the payroll to prove it. To lose in such poor fashion (3 hits against a pitcher who just 2 years ago was pitching in Japan and had a losing record this year) just ain't gonna cut it in this town! And so it is.

With that said, we are certainly no sore losers. Texas did all the right things as a TEAM. They pitched well, ran aggressively, hit effectively, and fielded almost flawlessly. They did all the things necessary to win. And, duh, guess what? They won; beautifully, handily, impressively. They're an excellent team with a great story to tell. I didn't want to like their manager, Ron Washington, but I do. As a manager, he made all the right moves. And his personality was honest, straight forward, and positive. Watching him gyrate on the dug-out steps with every big hit was a blast. So, good for the Texas Rangers. To the victor belong the spoils.

As for me, it's football season. Go Blue. Go Giants!

7 comments:

  1. don't worry there is always next year.
    That lay off, and the Texas buzz saw was spinning
    pretty fast.
    Pitching,Pitching and some good luck is what is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope springs eternal. Yes, next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truth is, being I have no Yankees to root for in the coming series, Texas will be the team I watch. Only fair after spending 2 years in Fort Worth. Sorry to see our season end, but the business of baseball goes on and I do love the game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K5, are you a dentist?

    jam, I'm with you. Even though the Giants are sentimental favorites for me (and I got to a story on Barry Bonds so I've been to their ballpark a number of times), the Rangers have a compelling story to tell. And I think they play a great brand of baseball. The Giants seem to have a certain aura about them lately, so, it's bound to be a great series.

    Since Fox is blacked out here (see my other blog entry) I have to explore other viewing options. Although I must admit, with the Yankees gone, I don't go out of my way. Especially since I'm an even bigger football fan! It's when the weather sucks in the North East, there's no baseball, AND no football that I get virtually suicidal. I'll just have to find more shit to write about!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. T, you're my favorite cousin but The Mets?!

    ReplyDelete