Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Douche of the Day: The Seneca nation

The DOTD for 12/1/10 is the Seneca Nation. Because I'm a big believer in Native American rights, this one was hard - but necessary. I just saw their TV commercial urging "us" to write our (actualling using the word "your") lawmakers to force "our" legislators to honor previous Indian treaties. Although I appreciate the sentiment I completley resent the execution. One at a time, Native Americans deliver the message in a series of brief requests, all calling for "us", in one way or another, to honor "our" treaties with the Seneca Nation. They try to personalize the message by continually using the pronouns "you" and "your" e.g. "we ask you to honor your commitment to the treaty signed with the Seneca Nation.

Well, here's my issue: First, as far as I know, my name does not appear on any treaty with the Senecas. Second, when this treaty was signed, well over 100 years ago, my family was still scratching out a living high in the Sicilian countryside. Therefore, it would be difficult to hold my family accountable for treaties signed before they even thought about coming to this country.

Writing to my legislators urging them to honor the treaty is a worthy cause. But to ask me to take personal responsibilty for others' transgressions is just plain lame. In fact, they lost me with this one.

So, I have to say to them, the Seneca Nation, congratulations for turning off a real supporter and being honored as Douche of the Day!

3 comments:

  1. Semantics, Frank, semantics. I think we signed on as citizens of this country. We signed on when we continue to use THEIR native lands resources for OUR wealth and prosperity. And supporting them is the right thing to do.

    DOTD? Kinda harsh given the history. DOTD? There are many others that are worthier of this title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said, it was difficult one because I REALLY support Native-A causes. And the SENTIMENT was right but the execution was TERRIBLE. Why insult the people you want to appeal to? Whomever did their marketing campaign should be fired (or scalped). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the media so I look at these things from a certain perspective: is the MESSAGE effective? In this case DEFINITELY not! Why would I listen and respond to a message that insults me and my intelligence? They wasted their money.

    ReplyDelete